Battle of the 18yr "Glens"

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21

I'm torn between buying either the 18year Glenlivet, glenmorangie or Glenfiddich. I haven't tried any of these and wanted to give one of them a shot. After watching Horst's recent review of the Glenlivet 18, I think I know what his answer would be, but I was wondering for the those who have had all three: in your opinion, which one of these mass-producers makes the best 18 year expression?

The Glenlivet is the most expensive of the three ($110 in my area), but I'm getting the impression that this one might be the better of the three. I haven't heard too much of the Glenfiddich (I saw Horst's review), but it's the most affordable ($85). Glenmorangie is in the middle of the road ($99), and I've never had a bad bottle from that distillery.

Thoughts/recommendations...?

• teohongfu Member teohongfu Joined: 13.07.2016Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

Well, Honestly, I would go for Glenfiddich 18 or Glenlivet 18. Both is just as good. Haven't tried Glenmorangie 18 yet though.

However I also do like to recommend 17yo/18yo Glenfarclas and 18 Arran :biggrin:

Hong Fu Teo
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

buy one each! the glenmorangie comes in a sturdy beautiful box. the Glenfiddich comes in a flimsy non-paper box with a tin cover that comes off quite easily. the Glenlivet comes in a traditional cardboard box.

I think all three are good in their own ways. but the glenmorangie is the go to dram as a gift.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I had the Glenmorangie 18yrs as well. And it was wonderful. The actual bottling shows a lot more cask influence then the earlier ones.

I would go (of course), if I do not have to look after money in this sequence:

Glenlivet
    Glenmorangie
    Glenfiddich

If I would have to look after the money, the Glenfiddich would be the first choice.

Glenfiddich
    Glenlivet
    Glenmorangie

But as said above, all three are really good single malts.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    , edited July 14 2016 at 9:40AM
    Options

at the Duty Free here, the Glenmorangie 18 and Glenfiddich 18 Small Batch Reserve are essentially the same price.

and for that price ~ GBP70, the Glenmorangie 18 packaging is really impressive.

• Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

I would go with miniatures if you just want to try. It will cost you less than a full bottle but you will know for sure which one you like. Personally I bought all of them in miniatures and was rather underwhelmed with each. Yes they are all nice but nothing spectacular for the price IMO. This is probably my personal taste. I prefer something with stronger character, like sherry monster or heavy peat. In any case, starting with miniatures makes a lot of sense to me.

• floid Member Joined: 19.07.2016Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    , edited July 20 2016 at 3:38PM
    Options

Check around for holiday gift sets. A local store to me stocks a Glenlivet gift set that is 750ml of 12, a 50ml of 15 french oak, and 50ml of 18. And they sell it for the same price as a regular 750ml of 12. It was a cheap way to try the two others to see if you like them and have a bottle of Glenlivet on hand for company.

Brett
  • kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

So I was able to get the Glenlivet 18 for 89 dollars. I have to say that I was expecting more from this whisky. Lots of oak and orange peel (for me). If you like bourbon, I think you'll love this scotch. But for me, I don't think I'll be buying this one again. The bourbon nose and taste was too strong for me. I think I would have liked the glenfiddich more. I'm still thankful for the recommendations, though!

• Shawn_A_Anderson Member Shawn_A_Anderson Joined: 05.02.2016Posts: 31Ratings: 0
    Options

I've tasted all three only the Glenmorangie I had by the glass, the other I had a bottle. I would choose this order.

1 Glenlivet 18 $92 CDN
    2 Glenfiddich 18 $102 CDN
    3 Glenmorangie 18 $ 160 CDN

• slimshade Member slimshade Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

If it was me, it would be Glenlivet or Glenmorangie, I wouldn't even touch Glenfiddich 18 it's to plain, lack of smell and taste, needs to be bottled at a higher ABV. Personal option, so you might enjoy it, while I don't ?