Mistakes in the "Knowledge" section

• Paramecium
    Topic creator
    Joined: 18.08.2016Posts: 1CollectionParameciums CollectionRatings: 28
    , edited August 19 2016 at 12:55PM

I've noticed some mistakes in the articles of the knowledge section. As many articles are translated, the suggestions do also apply for the German articles on whisky.de.

Major mistakes:

Article: Fermentation, 6. The fermentation process

„What happens inside the washbacks when yeast is added to the wort? Let’s call it chemistry! It’s a very easy reaction that follows, but it affects a fascinating result: C6H12O6 + 2 x C2H5OH -> 2 CO2 + heat“

First of all the arrow is at the wrong place of the equation. It's of course a matter of opinion, whether a reaction is very easy or complicated. The equation above is just a short form of more than a dozen chemical reactions (requiring dozens of different enzymes and cofactors) taking place consecutively (major steps: glucose -> pyruvate -> acetaldehyde -> ethanole) to finally get ethanol. So the yeast is capable of doing quite some astonishing work. I guess it's not necessary for the reader to explain the complete reactions in detail, but a hint about the complexity could be given and about why the yeast is that important.

Article: From the Grain to Alcohol 2. Starch

„Alcoholic fermentation is not carried out by enzymes but by yeasts.“

That's simply wrong. The fermentation is carried out by enzymes inside the yeast. All living organisms rely on enzymatic reactions.

Minor mistakes:

Article: Fermentation, 1. Yeast

„There are different kinds of yeast that are used by brewers and distillers, but they all belong to a family called Saccharomyces cerevisiae.“

A bit of nitpicking here :wink:, but the correct biological term is not family (that would be Saccharomycetaceae) but „species“. These kinds of yeast are different strains of the species Saccharomyces cerevisiae. „Saccharomyces cerevisiae“ should be italicized.

Article: From the Grain to Alcohol 1. Sugar

„Sugar beet plants have only been built...„

I would suggest the word „cultivated“.

Article: From the Grain to Alcohol 2. Starch

„They carry out a simple chemical reaction in sugar/water solutions according to the following formula“

See above. In addition, the following image is in German not in English.

Article: From the Grain to Alcohol 3. Alcoholic Fermentation

„In addition, the reaction produces aromatic substances (esters) that give whisky its great variety of taste.“

Not this reaction, but „byreactions“

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Thx a lot for the detailed input. We will fix it in the upcoming days.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

I changed it, except for the pictures, this will take a bit of time.

I work for whisky.com