sample bottles

• hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3

I am seeking Horst/Ben's opinion on this:

I got my hands on some small 50ml glass bottles meant for medical supplies. The idea is to save two shots of all the whiskies I have tasted as well as to trade with friends during tasting sessions. this way I have maintain a collection without the big empty bottles, to facilitate future reference nosing or even tasting.

As you can see in the photo, these cheap little bottles (EUR 0.40 each) comes with an excellent screw cap with a plastic stopper. my questions:

1. is it advisable to use the plastic stoppers with spirits (I also do cognac and rum)?
    2. since these are not corks, is it ok to store the bottle on the side or still prefer to be upright?

thank you and all comments are welcomed.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I had a collection of several hundred vials. They contained 1.5 to 2cl. After several years the content changed a lot. The intense Sherry whiskies separated. Some dark red brown sediment formed and I wasn't able to get it back into solution with shaking. Others evaporated despite the fact, that they were tightly closed. The sealings looked fine but weren't.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    I had a collection of several hundred vials. They contained 1.5 to 2cl. After several years the content changed a lot. The intense Sherry whiskies separated. Some dark red brown sediment formed and I wasn't able to get it back into solution with shaking. Others evaporated despite the fact, that they were tightly closed. The sealings looked fine but weren't.

wow. looks like I'll have to make it a point to drink them within a year!

• MuratTerzioglu Member Joined: 22.04.2019Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@horst_s 

Hello,

Can you say that you had the same problems with high abv and/or seated whiskies? 

What about with larger sample bottles such as 5, 10,20 cl sample bottles?

And lastly, using paradigm would be helpful for the storage of small sample bottles ?

Thanks.