Greetings From Minnesota!

• Louie82
    Topic creator

Hello everyone,

My Name is Louie and I recently discovered this site while perusing youtube.
    my background has mostly been a Irish blend drinker but over the last year I have been starting to expand my knowledge and enjoyment of other whiskys, I am definitely an amateur having only tasted a handful of single malts.

My very favorite of what I have tasted so far has to be the Dalwhinnie 15yrs and my least favorite is the Lagavulin 16yrs. It has become clear to me that I am no fan of the heavy smokey peaty whiskys.

I am open for suggestions of which whisky to try next that is affordable and for amateur palate. I was thinking perhaps a Glenfiddich 12yrs due to it's popularity with beginners.

Thank you Mr.Leuning for the great site and videos introducing me to a new world of Whisky and flavors.

Rowsdower70 liked that
  • Suzanne1967 Guest, Member Suzanne1967 Joined: 09.05.2015Posts: 68CollectionSuzanne and Lee's drinking CollectionRatings: 164
    Options

Welcome to the site :smile:

Glenfiddich is a decent enough dram, all depends what you like, perhaps try to attend a tasting nearby to see if you can try a few different ones so you can then start exploring the options.

Good luck :smile:

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "Louie82" wrote:
    I am open for suggestions of which whisky to try next that is affordable and for amateur palate. I was thinking perhaps a Glenfiddich 12yrs due to it's popularity with beginners.

The Glenfiddich 12yrs is broadly underestimated, because it is to widely available. But if you find the 15yrs beside it on the shelve you should go for it. More complex, more character.

You started with the Classic Malts (Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin). You should find the Cragganmore 12yrs and the Glenkinchie 12yrs at your source as well. Both are worth a try. If you are able to find the Dalwhinnie Distillers' Edition Vintage 1997 or 1998 it is worth a try as well.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Rowsdower70 Member Rowsdower70 Joined: 10.07.2016Posts: 20CollectionRowsdower70s CollectionRatings: 7
    , edited August 4 2016 at 6:32PM
    Options
    "Louie82" wrote:

Welcome Louie!

I'm also a beginner to Scotch whisky and single malts, and do not enjoy the peat smoke. Speyside, and some Highlands have been very pleasing to my palette.

When I first started buying/enjoying Scotch, a friend gave me a bottle of Aberlour 12 year, and told me another malt-mate had given him that as his first bottle.

I would recommend it to any beginner as a very affordable, wonderful dram.

Michael Suitt
    Louie82 liked that
  • Louie82
    Topic creator
    Options

Thank you all for the great recommendations. I recently had the opportunity to try a dram of The Original Glenmorangie 10yrs and very much enjoyed the flavors particularly the almond notes. Thank you again for all the suggestions as now I have a great base to continue on my journey.

Rowsdower70 liked that
  • DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

Welcome Louie.

As and expert in Irish Blend, what's your opinion about Jameson? I like it's fruitiness and american oak flavor. Can you give me another recommendation?

About peated single malts, maybe Lagavulin 16 is quite strong for beginners (like me).
    I tried Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 and Talisker 10 and I think that talisker is much better entry point in peated whisky, because is less smoky and has enough sweetness to be en easy dram for newbies.

I hope that you enjoy this community as much as I do.

Louie82 liked that
  • Rowsdower70 Member Rowsdower70 Joined: 10.07.2016Posts: 20CollectionRowsdower70s CollectionRatings: 7
    Options
    "Louie82" wrote:
    Thank you all for the great recommendations. I recently had the opportunity to try a dram of The Original Glenmorangie 10yrs and very much enjoyed the flavors particularly the almond notes. Thank you again for all the suggestions as now I have a great base to continue on my journey.

Glenmorangie is a wonderful 10yr!

Michael Suitt
    Louie82 liked that
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Welcome to the forum - enjoy your journey throught the world of whisky!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
    Louie82 liked that
  • Louie82
    Topic creator
    , edited August 12 2016 at 6:09PM
    Options
    "DaFin" wrote:
    Welcome Louie.

As and expert in Irish Blend, what's your opinion about Jameson? I like it's fruitiness and american oak flavor. Can you give me another recommendation?

Thank you for the compliment but I have yet a lot to learn :biggrin:

I quite enjoy Jameson, like many of my peers it was the first Irish Blend I tried. I would recomend the 12 yrs and if you are lucky to have it the 18yrs Jameson is full of complex notes, after that I would branch out trying some of the different Bushmills varieties. I will even admit that although I am not often a fan of flavored whiskys I quite enjoy the Bushmills Irish Honey it is not syrupy as other flavored whiskys are and offers a nice refreshing finish.

I would also recommend talking to your local bartender or barman it did wonders for me when I first started enjoying whiskys in my experience they are very knowledgeable and are always willing to branch out and help a patron.

• andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

welcome to the forum,

and I would go with horst's suggestions I have tried the craggenmore and it is really nice

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

This is crazy! I just made a post on the "Welcome from Belgium" topic and mentioned that he start with both the Glenmorangie 10 and Aberlour 12 as well! Feel free to read my post over there, Louie