What do you recommend for a newbie collection?

Topic creator
    Member 116520
    Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42

Hi! I am a newbie and if I have around £200 extra cash for a bottle of whisky adding to my collection, what do you recommend? The whisky has to be something special and is worth keeping for a long time and only to be opened for a special occasion. Or £200 is not enough?

Thank you.

• Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options
    "116520" wrote:
    Hi! I am a newbie and if I have around £200 extra cash for a bottle of whisky adding to my collection, what do you recommend? The whisky has to be something special and is worth keeping for a long time and only to be opened for a special occasion. Or £200 is not enough?

Thank you.

I saw that you have several Japanese whiskies. You might want to try to get your hand on one of the older versions if you can still get them.
    All the Nikka whiskies with age statements are going away. http://www.nonjatta.com/2015/06/The-Nikka-Shock.html

You said you liked peat smoke... well, then I would try to get a hand on one of the Octomores with a finish. They are all very limited so it's definitely something special. Or the Ardbeg Supernova 2009 (the peatiest whisky I've ever tried) or 2010 (a tiny bit less peaty but sweeter).

Otherwise I would recommend having a look at the independent bottlers. Maybe you'll find a vintage bottle from your year of birth? Or from any other significant day in your past... A lot of people try to get such a bottle with a "personal relation".

Topic creator
    Member 116520
    Options
    "Budgerigar_canalis" wrote:
    I saw that you have several Japanese whiskies. You might want to try to get your hand on one of the older versions if you can still get them.
    All the Nikka whiskies with age statements are going away. http://www.nonjatta.com/2015/06/The-Nikka-Shock.html

You said you liked peat smoke... well, then I would try to get a hand on one of the Octomores with a finish. They are all very limited so it's definitely something special. Or the Ardbeg Supernova 2009 (the peatiest whisky I've ever tried) or 2010 (a tiny bit less peaty but sweeter).

Otherwise I would recommend having a look at the independent bottlers. Maybe you'll find a vintage bottle from your year of birth? Or from any other significant day in your past... A lot of people try to get such a bottle with a "personal relation".

Thank you very much for the head up. Yes, you're right all Nikka whiskies with age statements are all being snapped up here in Singapore after the news. I have a bottle of Yoichi 12 year old opened with about 1/3 remaining. I guess this is my very last bottle I can own. Thinking on the bright side, at least I have owned and tasted it before it's all gone...

I bought myself a bottle of Suntory Hakushu 18 year old for father's day. The bottle is meant for "collection" as I am not planning to open it tonight. I am thinking of keeping it for some time (like 10 years?) and open it to share with my friends when it has discontinued. I believe people appreciate more if you treat them with something "rare" and not "from the shelve". Japanese whiskies with age statements are getting rarer and rarer these days. I can't find any Yamazaki 18 or higher in Singapore now and the 12 year old has increased around 20% in price over the past 2-3 months.

As for Scottish whisky, I think I can get a much better deal at the local airport DFS. So I will wait till the next time when I travel to make a purchase on any of Scottish whiskies you have recommended.

Sadly, we don't have much choice in Singapore for the independent bottlers. I came across this Invergordon 1974 40 Year Old Xtra Old Particular (yes, I am 41 years old :smile:) selling at £235 which to me is a bargain... I hope I am lucky enough to find one of those in the future...

• Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options

Are you allowed to order alcohol online from foreign countries?

Topic creator
    Member 116520
    Options

We are allowed to order alcohol online but subject to the following import tax:

Formulae for computation of duty payable on liquors:

a) Formula
    Duty = Total quantity in litre x $88.00 x % of alcoholic strength

b) Example : Importation of 100 litres of Port Wine with alcoholic strength of 19%
    Duty = 100 x $88.00 x 0.19 = $1672.00

There is also a 7% GST to be payable from the purchase price.

:banghead::banghead::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

"Budgerigar_canalis" wrote:
    Are you allowed to order alcohol online from foreign countries?
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

Tbh, i would't recommend any 200$ Whisky for a newbie collection. I would go for cheaper standards to get a better overview. After that, you are more qualified to find the best whisky for a price like that to buy for your collection. Because then its a sprecial whisky for YOU and not for other persons.:wink:

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • Rowsdower70 Member Rowsdower70 Joined: 10.07.2016Posts: 20CollectionRowsdower70s CollectionRatings: 7
    Options

As a newbie, if I had $200 to add to my collection with, I would probably get 3 or 4 bottles of various varieties.

Michael Suitt
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "116520" wrote:
    We are allowed to order alcohol online but subject to the following import tax:

Formulae for computation of duty payable on liquors:

a) Formula
    Duty = Total quantity in litre x $88.00 x % of alcoholic strength

b) Example : Importation of 100 litres of Port Wine with alcoholic strength of 19%
    Duty = 100 x $88.00 x 0.19 = $1672.00

There is also a 7% GST to be payable from the purchase price.

:banghead::banghead::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

7% GST is not just on the price of the liquor, it is also imposed on the carriage cost, and I believe on the liquor tax itself.