Favorite blend

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

I would say because you never know what is in your Blend. With a single malt you can always say "My whisky came from this pot still.." With a blend you don't know.

I work for whisky.com
    Rowsdower70 liked that
  • Stormer Member Stormer Joined: 18.05.2016Posts: 5Ratings: 5
    Options

Hey guys, new to the forum, new to wisky, lots yet to learn.
    But so far, in blends land, Chivas 18 is King.
    Thanks!

• schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    Options
    "Stormer" wrote:

I love Chivas 18. One of my favorites.

For everyday quaffing, I like Famous Grouse. A very good value, about US$20 a bottle!

I have also enjoyed Pig's Nose and Sheep Dip, although those are double the cost of Grouse.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "Stormer" wrote:
    Hey guys, new to the forum, new to wisky, lots yet to learn.
    Thanks!

you might consider trying the additionally matured Chivas 18 known as the Ultimate Cask Collection. the first they released is the First Fill American Oak cask, and it is non chill filtered and bottled at 48% abv. however it may be duty free only.

• bkdc Member Joined: 31.05.2016Posts: 6Ratings: 0
    , edited May 31 2016 at 12:59AM
    Options

Hibiki 17 and Hibiki 21 are my favorite blends. By far. I don't know if they count since they are priced in the realm of high end single malts. I haven't found a blend that comes close to pleasing my palate in balanced perfection as the Hibikis. They beat Chivas 25. At current prices, I agree that Chivas 18 has the best price to value ratio although the grain component is too prominent in the taste.

• Rowsdower70 Member Rowsdower70 Joined: 10.07.2016Posts: 20CollectionRowsdower70s CollectionRatings: 7
    Options

I haven't tried many blends as I'm new to whisky in general, but my first Scotch purchase was Famous Grouse, and it was good enough to get me hooked into Scotch.
    Being on a very limited budget, I would like to learn more about blended Scotch for a couple of reasons.
    A) They are cheaper, and I could afford to add more of them to my collection.
    B) I have a friend who got me into Scotch who has a vast collection of single malts, but knows nothing about blends, so being able to show up with a nice blend to share would make me feel a bit better about enjoying his much more expensive single malts.

I've already gotten some good ideas from this thread, and will be looking for more suggestions for non-peated blends.

Cheers!

Michael Suitt
  • schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    , edited July 12 2016 at 7:59PM
    Options
    "Brad69" wrote:
    Why do people think that single malts are better than blends?

Honestly, they are generally superior. That doesn't mean you won't find a blend that you enjoy as much as a single malt, but blends are often composed of whiskies that aren't good enough to be in a single malt bottling. (It is worth mentioning that single malts are often blends, too, but comprise spirits from one distillery.)

• DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

I tried few blended, so my opinion is not quite valuable, but the other day I tasted Ballantine's 12YO and is much better than cheap Ballantine's Finest, or JW red label or J&B. I think is 6€ more per bottle, but deserves it. In my opinion is quite similar to Chivas Regal but cheaper.

Rowsdower70 liked that
    Options
    "DaFin" wrote:
    I tried few blended, so my opinion is not quite valuable, but the other day I tasted Ballantine's 12YO and is much better than cheap Ballantine's Finest, or JW red label or J&B. I think is 6€ more per bottle, but deserves it. In my opinion is quite similar to Chivas Regal but cheaper.

I think all those whiskies (except the Ballantine 12yo) deserve bottom-shelf designations. I won't drink any of them. Life is too short to drink bad Scotch. (Call me a snob. What can I say?)

Although I don't stock it, I won't turn down a JW Double Black if it's offered.

• Peloquin Member Joined: 10.08.2018Posts: 7CollectionPeloquins CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Hi folks..new here and petty new to whisky, although if been drinking it for a while I've only recently really started getting into it.

Anyway, my favorite blended is by far Tweeddale "The Evolution"

Possibly even my favorite dram all round. It's gonna take a good drink to beat.