Better to Collect Single Malt or Single Grain?

• JollyPeatman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 21.06.2016Posts: 4CollectionJollyPeatmans CollectionRatings: 3

Hello,
    I have heard that single malt whisky's are more relevant on the secondary market than single grain whisky's. Is this true? and if so, why is that the case?

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

It is not only more relevant. Single Grain is very close to being irrelevant. Only 0,001-0,0001% of all collected bottles are only single grains.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

I'd be interested to know how you get these numbers, Horst. Is this just an extrapolation from the website's collections, or from any reliable source? :evil:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "SanctTom" wrote:
    I'd be interested to know how you get these numbers, Horst. Is this just an extrapolation from the website's collections, or from any reliable source? :evil:

We are offered once in two weeks in average complete whisky collections for resale. Unfortunately we have to reject all those offers because that is not our business. And in these listing you rarely find grain whiskies.

This is no surprise, because close to all single grains are produced on industrial column stills. And those do not stand for individual artisan work.

There had been some bottlings from independent bottlers like Signatory Vintage. But those bottlings show up once in a year if at all.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com