Days off

• pasvraiment
    Topic creator
    Member pasvraiment
    Joined: 05.11.2015Posts: 26Collectionpasvraiments CollectionRatings: 0

I am not a big drinker, but I like to drink 2 or 3 units per day (example: 1 ounce before supper, then 2 between 8pm and 10pm). I try to have 1 or 2 days without alcohol each week, but I rarely do it (got monday and wednesday off this week, but hadn't skipped a day for about a month). My days off are purely for my liver (not that I have problem, but everyone seems to say days off are a good thing...)

What are you "rules" of do you take days off?

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

This is heftily discussed in politics and the medical fraternity. The WHO says that a drink or two each day may help in avoiding cardiovascular problems as well as prevent strokes. On the other side there is the possibility of alcohol addiction. I have a physician among my relatives and he always says: If the patient is already old (65+) it does not matter, if he prescribes drugs or a (full!) bottle of wine each day. Neither would harm more than the other. I do NOT agree with this.

It is heard, that addiction may occur with the slightest amounts of alcohol. And a lot of people are not loosing control of their lives even with high doses. There is a genetic influence. I had a look at my alcohol specific genes through 23andme. I am happy with the results.

But taking a few days off from alcohol consumption is a good idea. It will help you to find out, if there is already some kind of addiction. If you are able to stay abstinence for two weeks, you should not have a problem.

I am tasting a lot of whiskies. I put them together in groups, so that I have the chance to stay sober for at least three days. And I am taking groups of three on consecutive days, so that I am able to take two weeks off in total. Because I have a less than average genetic risk in becoming addicted I have only to control the amount of pure alcohol I consume in a full year. This is in respect to my liver. I stay below 5 liters pure alcohol per year. That is half of the average consumption of our western population in Europe.

There will be a last uncalculable risk – but life is always full of risks.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

Monday to friday -> water
    Weekend -> wine or cola for lunch and 2 drums at evening

pasvraiment liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    I stay below 5 liters pure alcohol per year. That is half of the average consumption of our western population in Europe.

interesting idea Horst. I am approaching the 60 side of 50s so it wouldn't matter too much for me soon :biggrin:

however doing the calculations, assuming a dram of 30ml at average of 43% ABV, then 5 litres of alcohol a year works out to 32 drams a month! so one dram a day, with some day offs when the weather is too hot, too tired, etc would work out nicely for staying under the 5 litre limit.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "hwchoy" wrote:
    however doing the calculations, assuming a dram of 30ml at average of 43% ABV, then 5 litres of alcohol a year works out to 32 drams a month! so one dram a day, with some day offs when the weather is too hot, too tired, etc would work out nicely for staying under the 5 litre limit.

The main problem for the population is the uncontrolled consumption of alcoholic beverages. A fast beer after returning home at night (12 fl oz = 0,355l @ 4%) equals 5.2 liters of pure alcohol in a year. Or half a bottle of wine in the evening (0,375l @ 13%) equals 17,8 liters of pure alcohol in a year.

So if one decides to have a dram or two in the evening you have to avoid your wine or beer at dinner.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    DaFin liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    The main problem for the population is the uncontrolled consumption of alcoholic beverages. A fast beer after returning home at night (12 fl oz = 0,355l @ 4%) equals 5.2 liters of pure alcohol in a year. Or half a bottle of wine in the evening (0,375l @ 13%) equals 17,8 liters of pure alcohol in a year.

So if one decides to have a dram or two in the evening you have to avoid your wine or beer at dinner.

I find that most people don't realise how much alcohol they are consuming via beer. after I show the calculations all would find it incredulous that drinking 8 cans (330ml) of light beer ~5% ABV is as good as putting away half a bottle of Black Label. and 8 cans of light beers in some southeast Asian countries can easily be downed over a hearty lunch.

• Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

"Days on" is the problem for me. :biggrin:

Most days i return from work, i'm too tired out for having a Whisky.

I would see it as a warning sign if i had to think about "days off". "Daily" is never good.. I tends to get more by time, and then it shouldn't be daily.

But i also have times when i drink more then i should. I think it's not a problem if it's not forever. There are also times when i don't have a dram for weeks.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • toddstevens4 Member Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 23Collectiontoddstevens4s CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

Great advice Horst! Also friends don't become inebriated! Our free will is a wonderful gift, and we should show our gratitude by maintaining it. Alcoholism obviously destroys many lives, but over-drunkenness can ruin an evening and make many uncomfortable. Please be mindful of your state of mind so as to not cause unnecessary harm or discomfort.
    God bless,

Todd Stevens