What whiskey do you recommend for a new whiskey drinker?

• thepeanut
    Topic creator
    Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8

Hi, I'm new to whiskey drinking (appreciation). In the past I use to just drink them for excitement, thrill rush, etc(I know it sounds childish but hey we all went through that period once didn't we? haha) but after stumbling upon whiskey.com on youtube it got me interested in appreciating whiskey for their taste. So is there any whiskey to recommend ? I currently have JW black label, JW red label, teachers and Jack Daniel's old 7. Are there any whiskey for recommendation that I should try?

My preference usually lies with sweetness with a tinge of spiciness. Less after bitter taste would be great!

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~
  • Heidjer Member Heidjer Joined: 05.07.2014Posts: 39CollectionHeidjer's CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

In which of the whiskies do you find the bitterness? If it's the blends then you might have the same sensibility for the taste of worn out casks that Horst appears to have. If that's the case, then better quality whisky should not have that problem. Since you seem to have rather standard whiskies available practically anywhere in the world, I'd recommend you try some malts and/or quality Bourbons if you already like the Jack D. If you have the opportunity to sample whiskies or try them at a well organised bar that offer a wide selection and nosing glasses, you should do that before spending money on a bottle you may not like. Or you can try and find a whisky club - I'm sure there are some in Singapore.

For first tries in Single Malts I'd recommend the 12 year olds of Macallan and Highland Park, 15yo Glenfiddich, 16yo Lagavulin, 10yo Talisker, Laphroaig, Ardbeg ans Springbank.
    For Bourbons I haven't tried so many that I'd go on recommending since I seem to have skipped over entry level from cheap to middle class.

• Corso_theRed Member Corso_theRed Joined: 03.08.2014Posts: 11Ratings: 0
    Options

I'd recommend something affordable at first. (Don't worry, price constraints will fall like flies later on.)

- Tomatin Legacy
    - Glendronach 12
    - Dalwhinnie 15

come to my mind.

hwchoyFreecall2 liked that
  • thepeanut
    Topic creator
    Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8
    Options

Hi Heidjer! When I tasted Jack Daniel's Old 7 there was a slight bitter taste though it went away quite fast. Not sure if I am just over sensitive to bitterness haha. I was thinking of trying macallan 12! Now that you've suggested it I think I most definitely will try!

Hi Corso_theRed! Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely put those in my list!

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Good recommendations already - I'd just add another suggestion - Clynelish!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

What about some Japanese whisky? Yamazaki 12 and Hibiki 12 are very nice too!

• toddstevens4 Member Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 23Collectiontoddstevens4s CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

II sweetness with a tinge of spiciness is what you're looking for I would recommend checking out some Sherry Cask matured single malts. You can find some great entry level offerings for a decent price, but there's a good chance they'll be colored and chill-filtered. Also don't think a quality rum is out of the question, lots of great options there (ex. Pyrat Rum).
    Slainte!

Todd Stevens