Favorite American Whiskey?

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0

So let's talk about the true north strong and free's best whiskey's. For me $/quality Woodford Reserve takes the cake, 45.2% under $40 30 euros.Loaded with vanilla and spice on the nose and the addition of caramel and coffee in the mouth, its an amazing dram, I am also quite fond of Bookers bourbon, albeit I have only had one bottle and fining it where I am is all but impossible, 63% loaded with strong vanilla and oak flavors, you would think at 63% it would be hellish but it is easily consumable neat with only the initial nip, adding water brought in a little bit of a nutty character and cacao.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I feel very much the same. The Woodford Reserve is full of aromas because they use pot stills instead of column stills as most of the Bourbon distillers do. And with these pot stills more flavor compounds are driven over in the spirit receiver.

The Blanton's Gold uses another concept. The producer/bottler is one of the very few distillers who is able to select the very best casks out of a complete warehouse. To do this you have to be proprietor and bottler yourself and you must be innovative and dynamic enough to deliver this concept to the market.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    Carhartt liked that
  • Helgo Member Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 7Ratings: 0
    Options

I am realy surprised Godslayer8)

In my opinion Maker´s Mark and Four Roses Yellow Map will win the race. At least regarding prices:biggrin:

• Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

I only had Jack Daniels some years ago. I can't remember its taste tbh and probably it was mixed with cola. I'm into Scotch at the moment, but will have some American in future.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

While I'm still expanding my knowledge of American whiskey, my favourites for the last few years have stayed the same: Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Blantons SftB and Thomas H.Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Barrel Proof, with Woodford Reserve and Noahs Mill as runners-up. While they are often put forward as recommendations, personally I don't like Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig very much - but then, tastes differ...:razz:
    I'm still hoping to find a (decently priced) sample of George T.Stagg Barrel Proof, though - but I have my doubts about whether you get your money's worth with that one...:confused:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options

I don't like bourbon that much because I don't like the taste of corn in whisky. The only bourbon I've liked so far (I've tried about 6 or 7) was the Elijah Craig 12 y.o.

Last week I tried two Canadian whiskies and I liked them a lot better than bourbon. So when it comes to North America, what I wanna try in the future are more Canadian whiskies and rye whiskeys from the U.S. with only a small corn content.

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

If you ever get a chance my preferred canadian whiskeys are, glen breton 10 ice ( aged in ice wine barrels ) the regular is no different from any run of the mill speyside. Alberta premium(cheap as dirt, I get it for $18 and 100% rye, easily a mid 80's review, alberta springs 10 year old, again a good blended whiskey. I also like forty creeks stuff, wasnt a fan of copper pot but the rest is excellent new aged whiskey. A second single malt distillery is opening in canada soon, I hope to see good things from them in the coming decade.

• Budgerigar_canalis Member Budgerigar_canalis Joined: 18.07.2014Posts: 50Ratings: 0
    Options

The Forty Creek Barrel Select was one of the two whiskies I tried last week. The other one was the White Owl, which they aged for 3 years and then charcoal-filtered the hell out of it so it's clear like vodka... definitely strange. But they both were quite nice. Easy drinking, nothing too complex of course, but agreeably so. (We had Canadian relatives visiting us, and they brought these two whiskies.)

The Alberta Premium sounds promising, but I guess it's not that easy to get over here. I hope to be able to visit Canada next year and then I'm gonna try them all :smile:

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options
    "Budgerigar_canalis" wrote:
    The Alberta Premium sounds promising, but I guess it's not that easy to get over here. I hope to be able to visit Canada next year and then I'm gonna try them all :smile:

... and bring some back to share, I hope...:wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
    Godslayer liked that
  • ezgoer Member ezgoer Joined: 27.08.2014Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

Hey,

My favorite all time bourbon has to be Elmer T lee Single barrel from Buffalo Trace. Elmer T Lee was a legend and was behind getting Blantons single barrel to the market a long time ago.

Bulleit 10 year old is also very nice and the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is the most easy drinking bourbon i have ever tasted and full of flavor.

• Xounlistedxox Member Xounlistedxox Joined: 25.12.2014Posts: 29CollectionMy CollectionRatings: 57
    Options

Elmer T Lee is some seriously good stuff, as well as Van Winkle 12, but my favorite bourbon is Woodford Reserve. It's amazingly flavorful & easy to find.