Whisky Storage Options?

2»
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "SavageHenry" wrote:
    On a similar note, what about storing whisky in hot - Middle Eastern hot - climates?

I like to have three or four bottles on the go at once, just for variety.

The reid vapor of ethanol is higher in a warmer climate. In India whisky casks have a more than double angel's share. So you are right to have fewer bottles open.

It is as well imortant to keep the temperature differences low over the day. Because the air inside the bottle will work against the cork. In the end I doubt, that you will loose more than a dram over a year due to evaporation.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Suzanne1967
    Topic creator
    Guest, Member Suzanne1967
    Joined: 09.05.2015Posts: 68CollectionSuzanne and Lee's drinking CollectionRatings: 164
    Options

And relax..... the new Whisky cabinet is home, cleaned, assembled and filled..... 100 bottles in there atm, and still plenty of room left for our Islay trip in 3 weeks time!

:banghead::banghead:

Had a nightmare trip, although the cabinet was a steal - £5.50 on ebay - we had to hire a van, which broke down half way there, so we had to wait 2 hours for them to bring us another van. All done now though :smile:

Closer up :smile:

Options

Excellent!

Suzanne1967 liked that
  • Suzanne1967
    Topic creator
    Joined: 09.05.2015Posts: 68CollectionSuzanne and Lee's drinking CollectionRatings: 164
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    Excellent!

Thanks Horst, most kind.... we love it! Now on to Islay in 2 weeks to stock up a bit more :smile:

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

do you have a grouping idea for the bottles, eg do your group them by region, taste or something?

• Suzanne1967
    Topic creator
    Options
    "hwchoy" wrote:
    do you have a grouping idea for the bottles, eg do your group them by region, taste or something?

Not yet, we have kept the bottles from the same distillery together, and all the opened ones together, but I think when we get back from Islay in a couple of weeks we will then have to organise it, we have a shelving unit the other side of the room that has 5 shelves, it is probable that we will have to use that or the cupboards underneath the glass cabinet to store the ones that wont fit in the glass cabinets, but as to how to organise, I think we will go with by region, so all the Islay and Island ones together, Speyside together, Highland, Lowland and Campbeltown together in their own areas, but lets see how much we bring home from our holidays :smile::eek::biggrin:

hwchoy liked that
  • jasiu82 Member Joined: 14.07.2016Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    , edited July 14 2016 at 3:51PM
    Options

My house has no basement, but it does have a small storage unit under the front stairs. That's where I store my whisky, but I'm noticing that in the hot summer months, the humidity can get up to 80% at times in that little room. My question is which is better, this room where the temperature is more constant throughout the year (65-72F) but the humidity varies (40-80%) or upstairs in our living space where the humidity is more constant (45-60%) and the temperature varies more greatly 62-75F throughout the year? I am storing whisky for tasting and am not a speculator. I was thinking that the humidity will stop evaporation...but don't know how true that is. I live in the NE United States.

Options

There are three influences on the evaporation. Air pressure, temoerature, and humidity. But the temperature is the primary driving force. With no temperature difference, the pressure on the cork will be only resulting from outside change of the air pressure (low, high).

If you heat the bottle up, there will be a lot more pressure on the cork, because whisky expands a lot with rising temperature. Between freezing temperature and room temperature the level of the whisky in a bottle may rise by 2/3 of an inch.

The humidity will influence the relationship between the evaporation of alcohol and water from the whisky. The higher the humidity the less water will evaporate (partial pressure).

There are two ways to hinder the evaporation. Buy a tape called Parafilm from the chemical suppliers. Wrap that firmly around the cork and the upper part of the bottle. The second method is more expensive. Buy a wine fridge. But use it to keep the temperature constant (20-25C) and not too cool.

2»