Apple Flavored Whiskey Comparison.

• SpiritNovice
    Topic creator
    Member SpiritNovice
    Joined: 24.05.2016Posts: 2CollectionWhiskeys I've owned and tried.Ratings: 1

Controversial subject time.

I know alot of people hate flavored whiskey, I appreciate both flavored and unflavored whiskies, as well as whiskies from all countries, but I enjoy an apple whiskey with my breakfast in the morning, it's refreshing, it's crisp and honestly quite nice, I have small collection of different brands here and each has their own unique flavor to offer. I won't do a full review, but I'll try and explain the differences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jim Beam apple is the whiskey that most resembles an apple liqueur, it's thick, sweet and syrupy, there's a slight burn in the back but it's not awful, it has the sweetest hit of the four shown here, and is my least favorite. It's a green apple flavor and is 35%. Price tends to be around $18.00 for 750ml.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Crown Royal apple is very different from the Jim Beam, it tastes alot like regular Crown Royal but, has a smooth taste of green apples in the front and some light spices in the back, it's overall much nicer on the tongue than the Jim in my opinion. It's 35% and the price tends to be around $30.00 for 750ml.

The R&R apple honestly reminds me VERY much of the Crown, it actually is even smoother than the Crown however, it doesn't have the spices in the back, but rather has the taste of the apple in the back and the taste of Canadian whiskey in the front, it's actually very nice to sip on and, of the four bottles here, reminds me the most of the taste of whiskey. Like the previous two, it's a green apple flavor and is also 35%. Price tends to be around $8.00 for 750ml.

The Bird Dog is something wholly unique in this lineup, on the tongue, there's an immediate hit of apples and cinnamon spices, however unlike all three other bottles shown, the Bird Dog tastes like crisp red apples, it's by far however the roughest whiskey of the four, having a much stronger burn on the back of the throat, my grandfather says that Bird Dog whiskeys remind him very much of his teenage years, due to how rough they tend to be. It's also unique in that it's 40% alcohol. The price tends to be around $20.00 for 750ml.

Overall, I like all of these whiskies however, I like some far, far more than others and, if we're being 100% honest, my favorites are, in order:
    #1: R&R
    #2: Crown Royal
    #3: Bird Dog
    #4: Jim Beam.

I hope someone found this helpful :smile:

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Thx for your thoughts.

Wow - Whisky & Apple in the morning.

I typically savour my whiskies neat or with a little splash of water. Saying this I feel myself not really telling the truth. I like Sherry cask matured Scotch whiskies very much. And these whiskies contain up to 1% Sherry left over in the old casks.

There is an ongoing discussion whether Canadian whisky may be internationally called whisky, because it may contain up to 9,09% flavours.

In total I am a little conservative and shrink back with the idea of adding something different than water. And - I keep to the old rule: No whisky during daylight.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    SpiritNovice liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

interesting this topic comes up just as I was reading about another flavoured whisky, which I didn't know that was legal.

http://www.compassboxwhisky.com/whiskies/index.php?id=15

The Compass Box Orangerie contains cloves, cassia bark and orange peel! but I have to admit it sounds delicious.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

I have to admit: when it comes to flavoured whisky (is this still whisky?) I'm more than a little conservative. I like my whisky neat or with a little water, but nothing else.
    Coming from a country with a rich history of fruit liqueurs I like my whisky to be different - I tried to Compass Box Orangerie mentioned above once and still can't bring myself to finish the sample...
    But nevertheless - enjoy it if you like it!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

In Spain there is whisky with peach in every bar, but never seen apple-whisky.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "SanctTom" wrote:
    I have to admit: when it comes to flavoured whisky (is this still whisky?) I'm more than a little conservative. I like my whisky neat or with a little water, but nothing else.
    Coming from a country with a rich history of fruit liqueurs I like my whisky to be different - I tried to Compass Box Orangerie mentioned above once and still can't bring myself to finish the sample...
    But nevertheless - enjoy it if you like it!

I am thinking along the same line as you.