Auchentoshan advice

• thepeanut
    Topic creator
    Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8

I'm having trouble deciding on which I should buy. Auchentoshan 12 yr, Auchentoshan American oak or Auchentoshan Three Wood. Any advice?

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Not really easy. The 12yrs is the classic Auchentoshan. This would be my first choice because it carries an age statement and is therefore more honest than the others.

The American Oak shows wonderful fresh white oak aromas. Really something special. And because Auchentoshan uses a triple distillation the missing years (there is no age statement) do not harm.

The Triple Wood uses very active wine casks (also from oak) for maturation. But the residual fluid from the previous use inside these casks matter more than the spicyness of the oak.

All of them are worth a try. But only the 12 yrs shows the original Auchentoshan character, because it is not hidden behind wood or fruit.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

You could have a look for the Auchentoshan Miniature-Set including all three bottlings you named. 3x 5cl Set.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • thepeanut
    Topic creator
    Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8
    Options

Thanks Mr Luening and Quin! I've decided to try the Auchentoshan 12y/o haha. Thanks!!

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options
    "thepeanut" wrote:
    Thanks Mr Luening and Quin! I've decided to try the Auchentoshan 12y/o haha. Thanks!!

Good choice! :wink:

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english