Tasting for amateurs

• DaFin
    Topic creator
    Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15

Hi,

I'm preparing a tasting for amateur friends. I'm also an amateur.

I'm choosing 5 bottles between 20-30 € and I want to show them very different whiskys, very different flavours, but not usually found in Spanish bars. So, no whiskys for masses.

Please, comment my selection for that tasting:

- Scapa Skiren -> single malt NAS
    - Bowmore 12 -> single malt 12
    - The Snow grouse -> blended grain
    - Bushmills Blank Bush -> Irish blended
    - Marker's mark -> Kentucky Straight Bourbon

Thank you.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Wounderful selection of non expensive but good and really different brands.

The sequence is a little tricky. You should start with the weakest and finish with the strongest. Otherwise the taste of the lighter ones will be hidden behind the earlier strong ones.

1. Snow Grouse
    2. Maker's Mark
    3. Scapa Skiren
    3. Bushmills Black Bush
    5. Bowmore 12ys

I am a little indifferent about the Scapa and the Bushmills. The Bushmills contains non intense grains and is triple distilled. But has also a more intense Sherry cask maturation.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options

I agree with Horst, but I would always put Bourbon to the end of any tasting! The massive influence of fresh casks is even heavier than peat. Also this one has 45%vol and i think you will get close to nothing from the Scapa after that one.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

I agree with Quin - Bourbons should go either to the end of a (theoretical) first session or the end of the tasting, as the sweetness and the vanilla tend to stay in the mouth quite dominantly.

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • DaFin
    Topic creator
    Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

Yea, you caught me with Scapa :smile:

Following a friend recommendation, I bought it (24€) one month ago. I made a big mistake not looking Mr. Luening review of that whisky before buy it. I also think is a plain whisky. It doesn't tell me anything. I did a short review in the web database.

So now I have half a bottle and want to empty it quick. For that reason I put it in the list for tasting :biggrin:

About Bushmills black bush, I didn't taste it before. Can you recommend me a blended in the same price range with quite different flavors from other whiskys in the list and preferable "no mainstream"?

Thinking about order, you are right. I must order them well to have a good tasting experience.
    Bowmore and bourbon will be in the lasts positions. I will think which one the last.

Thank you very much.