Adding Water To Whisky

• SavageHenry
    Topic creator
    Member SavageHenry
    Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 13CollectionAll the whiskies in IraqRatings: 3

What is your advice for adding water to whisky?

Is it a question of just when it's over 50%? I added some water to a Balblair 03 and it totally changes the flavour into something altogether more creamy. I've added water to Japanese whiskies and it has killed the taste completely. So generally I never add water. Is there any way to know what the effect of the water will be?

Thanks.

#whiskycom

• horst_s Administrator horst_s Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 301Ratings: 704
    Options

I am afraid, there is no chance to know in advance what will happen. I typically dilute if the whisky has more than 50%, because I do not wan't to paralyze my taste buds. If the whisky does not taste with a lower ABV I declare it as a bad whisky then.

Typically whiskies matured in better casks have a better dilution ability. Light and pale whiskies might get watery earlier.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    SavageHenry liked that
  • pasvraiment Member pasvraiment Joined: 05.11.2015Posts: 25Collectionpasvraiments CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

I only add water to CS scotch and I don't buy those often. Seems to me water maximize a part of the flavor profile I don't care for. But I might be wrong...

SavageHenry liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 90Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 16
    Options
    "pasvraiment" wrote:
    I only add water to CS scotch and I don't buy those often. Seems to me water maximize a part of the flavor profile I don't care for. But I might be wrong...

Agreed...

I know Ralfy and others insist on adding water, and who am I to question them? Granted, some distilleries might have less ABV to make their cask contents last longer, but I tend to think that they know what dilution formula works best for their liquid and brings out their intended flavor profiles.

But typically, I'll only add water on three occations: 1) CS (tiny sip neat first) 2) if I'm not too crazy about what I'm tasting and want to change things up a little 3) towards the end of a bottle, as I'm more familiar with the core tasting notes.
  • SavageHenry
    Topic creator
    Member SavageHenry
    Joined: 14.04.2016Posts: 13CollectionAll the whiskies in IraqRatings: 3
    Options

Thanks for your responses, Horst and everyone else.

I guess it's part of the fun of discovering new whiskies.