Information about Kavalan Solist Amontillado 2016

• Angela_2
    Topic creator

Hello,

Hope that somebody can give me any further information about the Kavalan Solist Amontillado 2016 since I'm not very familiar with Taiwanese whisky and got this as a present.
    The bottle looks quite noble and is packaged in a wooded box.
    There is a certificate attached stating that this Solist Amontillado was honored as world's best single cask single malt whisky 2016.
    I'd be specially interested in knowing if this is really something special (price?) or if just the packaging pretends that this whisky is better than it is in reality.

Any feedback is very much appreciated - thx!

Foto 2.JPG 122.4K
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

The Kavalan have different series of whiskies. The Solist is the high-end series. The asked price on the shelves is around 250 EUR/US$. Don't know excactly for this bottle. But the Fino Sherry sells for that. Well, there is some inflation going around with these 'Best' titles. I personal find those whiskies rated best most often very good to excellent. But I would never dare to call them the best.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    , edited May 9 2016 at 12:23PM
    Options

I thought I tasted metallic youthfulness with the Solist Sherry Cask, but then I am not an experienced taster. I am not sure this accelerated aging in tropical weather can be equivalent to a a long slow maturation in cooler weather in places like Scotland. I imagine the Solist maturing in hot weather to be like growing old while doing deep breathing and sweaty exercises, while maturation in cool Scottish weather is more like a relaxing sleep. will the two processes produce the same maturation?

I also note a passage from the Ron Zacapa rum producer. they bring the spirit up to their warehouses located at 7000 feet in the Guatemalan mountains, in order that the spirits mature slowly in the cool temperature and low oxygen levels at high altitude. this is quite the opposite of maturation in tropical weather.

• BPM Member Joined: 14.05.2016Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options
    "Angela" wrote:
    Hello,

Hope that somebody can give me any further information about the Kavalan Solist Amontillado 2016 since I'm not very familiar with Taiwanese whisky and got this as a present.
    The bottle looks quite noble and is packaged in a wooded box.
    There is a certificate attached stating that this Solist Amontillado was honored as world's best single cask single malt whisky 2016.
    I'd be specially interested in knowing if this is really something special (price?) or if just the packaging pretends that this whisky is better than it is in reality.

Any feedback is very much appreciated - thx!

Hi Angela,
    Just wondering where you're located and where your friend got the bottle? I've been searching for that specific bottling of Kavalan Amontillado for a while now, but can't find it anywhere for sale in the US. Thanks in advance for the info and hope you enjoy the dram!