Whisky Tasting Highland Park 10 year old

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0

Figured I should toss a review of this slightly obscure malt.... not really weird, just a less common highland park malt, isn't even mentioned on their website. I have two bottles, one is being kept sealed, as a collectible, I doubt i'll sell it, but mayble drink it in a few years.

Little intro, available(not in all countries) entry level highland park malt, actually their cheapest malt, sells for $40-$60 in my area, I paid $41.95, a few dollars cheaper than the 12 year old which is around $50-$65, sadly I don't have a bottle of the 12 year old to compare to, I have the 18 year old, but I don't feel it to be a fair comparison.

Color: Amber, Amber -1. This isn't dark as it focuses on american oak.

Smell: Alcohol, agave, vanilla, citrus, lime cordial, a little bit more sweetness, and faint smoke.... isn't heavy at all. someone who dislikes peaty whiskies may still enjoy this.

Taste: Slight sherry notes, spicy, typical vanilla and honey notes, we would expect from american oak. It contains highland parks signature style. I get almost an anejo tequila kind-of vibe, almost a smoked tequila. Malty taste as well. Most defiantly a young single malt as the whisky's youth is present in the palate. I also get a slight flourly salty note if left in the mouth for a prolonged period.

Finish: Leaves a spicy taste in your mouth, typical of peated malts, but not much else, and the finish isn't overly long, 30 seconds later I forgot I drank it.

Final Remarks: An okay entry level malt, this wont be winning double gold or any international awards.... atleast I hope not. A moderatly smooth and fairly one dimensional malt, It does not contain the fine nuances the 18 year old contains, nor does it do the Highland park name justice( If it was bottles higher it would) It can not... take any water, a teaspoon into an ounce, demolished it, making it a watery mess, neat, or a few drops and its ok, but in the realm of 30% it loses all of its character and becomes slightly peaty citrus, that would make the average blend look good. Overall I am slightly disappointed, it is still a satisfactory malt, but considering for $5 more I can get the 12 year old which is 43% which this malt is only 60% of. I suppose as a rating id go high 70's, low eighty's, for arguments sake lets say 80/100. This is on the edge of good and bad, it has strengths but they just arent being realized and that sadends me, as this is my favorite malt, the 12 year old got me into scotch.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Nice review.
    We are just at the creation of the Whisky Database. Would you be ok if I used parts of your description in the database for this whisky?

I work for whisky.com
  • Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Go for it, I am going to try and toss up a review weekly and spur some discussion.