Travel Value Recommendations (Munich)...

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21

I might be going to Munich in July and I was looking a recommendation in the Travel Value.

I know that duty free scotch can be expensive (especially for non-age statements), but it's also a rare opportunity to get some exclusive bottles.

I've had the Balvenie 16 year triple cask as well as the Glenmorangie Duthac. Although neither were worth the money, they were still pretty tasty and I don't regret spending the money on something that I normally wouldn't be able to get.

I'm leaning towards the Bunnahabhain eirigh na greine, or the Bowmore Springtide (although it's expensive, AND colored). I'm open to all recommendations.

Thanks!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Munich is my home airport and I am afraid, they are neither well assorted nor cheap. But that depends a lot on the possibilities and price niveau in your surroundings.

I found the Balvenie Triple Cask 16yrs very complex. There had been no exptreme kicks and there was a little ABV missing. The same is with the 25yrs, which I tasted two days ago. But the two belong to my very favorite.

I had the Bowmore Springtide in August last year. It was extremely Sherry laden and powerfull. It had definitely more power than the Balvenie.
    https://www.whisky.com/forumblogchat/blog/blog-post/2015/08/21/whisky-tasting-bowmore-springtide.html

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    hwchoy liked that
  • kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

As always, thank you for the reply, Horst. As a matter of fact, the last time I was at the Munich Travel Retail, I bought the Balvenie 16 triple cask because of your vlog!

Recently, I have been searching your video archives for more travel retail bottles you have sampled (Glenlivet Master's Reserve, Talisker Dark Storm, Laphroaig PX, etc), and you really seemed to enjoy the Springtide...you better after paying such a hefty price for a NAS!

Bottom line, there are a LOT of options; the Highland Park Warrior series ALONE is enough to make your head spin (although the Sigur looks interesting)! So, if anyone has had a good encounter with a specific travel retail bottle, let me know. 150 euros/175 dollars might be as high as I go...Thanks!

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

you could consider The Glenrothes Elder's Reserve or Minister's Reserve.