Rye-matured scotch...?

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21

Hello all,

Are there any scotches matured in ex-rye casks...? I have a friend who is gave me a sample of some George Washington straight rye and I started realized that I couldn't think of any...

Thanks!

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

I have to say I did not think about this, yet. I had a similar, but not that flavour important problem. Very many Bourbon casks are not Bourbon casks but Tennessee whiskey casks (Jack). But they are sold as ex-Bourbon cask maturation.

Anyway to your question:
    I'm trying to get my hands on this bottle to get it in the blog:

https://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/our-whisky/limited-editions/select-casks-rye-cask-finish/

I work for whisky.com
  • kroman
    Topic creator
    Options

thank you for the reply, but I made a mistake and should have been more specific

I'm talking about SINGLE MALT scotch matured or finished in rye casks. I'm familiar with Johnnie Walker Rye, but I'm not the biggest JW fan (their green label is alright). It just seems funny that with so many distilleries trying to separate themselves from the crowd, you would see at least a couple bottles that do this...

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

what a coincidence. Our purchasing just ordered the JW Rye. So you will see it over the next weeks on the blog.
    Single Malt Rye cask finish... Honestly I don't think it exists. This will be one of the questions for the next master distillery I can pull in front of a camera.

I work for whisky.com
  • kroman
    Topic creator
    Options

That's a bunch of great news! I'm looking forward to the outcome of both videos!

Imagine a Talisker finished in a fresh ex-rye cask...talk about a peppery kick!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I talked to some managers of newly opened distilleries in Scotland two weeks ago. And one told something about Rye cask. But unfortunately I did not took an interview and lost who it was.

The problem with rye casks is the small amount of them. There are very few good selling Ryes on the market like Jim Beam Rye. So the numbers of casks are relatively small. That JoWo did that finishing shows, that the marketeers are aware of this in the meantime. It will not take too long until the first Single Malt Rye finished and later Rye matured will be on the market.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • kroman
    Topic creator
    Options

Looks like the upcoming glenmorangie spios is rye matured, so I'm really excited to try this...hopefully a review will be coming soon, @horst_s 

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@kroman I tasted it already and the video will be out soon.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • GulfCoastScotchLover Member GulfCoastScotchLover Joined: 22.06.2019Posts: 4Ratings: 1
    Options

I would love to taste a rye finished Ardbeg or Laphroaig