Hello from Michigan

• johnamo
    Topic creator
    Joined: 23.03.2016Posts: 4Collectionjohnamos CollectionRatings: 4

Hi everyone,

Just recently started getting a bit more interested in whisky and have seen my collection exponentially grow in the last few months. I'm planning a trip to Scotland this summer, so... I justify my new obsession as research. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I've found lots of great information on the site and really got started with Horst and Ralfy's videos on YouTube.

A couple of questions for you guys...
    A)My current collection favorites are:
    1. Yamazaki 12yr - great spicy oak flavor and balance
    2. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12yr - nice sweetness, mouthfeel, and flavor
    3. Oban 14yr - a little salty, slightly smoky
    4. Glenfiddich 14yr Bourbon Barrel - oak-forward and reminiscent of bourbon with a whisky base
    5. Hibiki Japanese Harmony - sweet, well-balanced, and overall very pleasant
    Any suggestions for something to try next within the same general vein? I know they may be all over the place, but I'm sure some of you more experienced whisky fans will be able to connect the dots somewhat.

B) I absolutely can't stand Laphroaig at the moment (no matter how hard I try), so I'll give that one some time to grow on me. I also don't particularly like Bunnahabhain 12 (it seems kind of sour and slightly astringent -- yes, I know it's not peaty though) Any whiskies that are a good introduction to peat or "other" whisky flavor profiles?

Thanks, everyone.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Welcome to the forum,

A) I quite like the Macallan sherry expressions. Most of them are quite mild with a lot of fruity and sweet character.

B) My intro to peat was the Lagavulin 16. Great stuff. Very peaty with sherry influence.

I work for whisky.com
  • altimanmalt Member Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 18CollectionScotch/Whisky ListRatings: 0
    Options

Welcome aboard !

• johnamo
    Topic creator
    Options
    "ben" wrote:
    Welcome to the forum,

A) I quite like the Macallan sherry expressions. Most of them are quite mild with a lot of fruity and sweet character.

B) My intro to peat was the Lagavulin 16. Great stuff. Very peaty with sherry influence.

I have a Macallan 12 that I have yet to open -- I'll try that next. Lagavulin 16 is on my list of ones to try, so I'll bump it up to the top. Thanks for the advice.

"altimanmalt" wrote:
    Welcome aboard !

Thank you!

• altimanmalt Member Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 18CollectionScotch/Whisky ListRatings: 0
    Options
    "johnamo" wrote:
    "ben" wrote:
    Welcome to the forum,

I have a Macallan 12 that I have yet to open -- I'll try that next. Lagavulin 16 is on my list of ones to try, so I'll bump it up to the top. Thanks for the advice.

"altimanmalt" wrote:
    Welcome aboard !

Thank you!

No problem mate .

• johnamo
    Topic creator
    Options
    "ben" wrote:

Finally got around to trying the Lagavulin 16. Really quite tasty, and, though the level of smoke seems similar to the Laphroaig 10, it's much more balanced and palatable... and drinkable. Maybe even enjoyable. Thanks again for the suggestion.

• andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

welcome to the forum