Now drinking thread

• Quin
    Topic creator
    Member Quin

To get this site rolling we should have some of the old, established threads here! So, this is the "Now drinking - thread"!

Let the other users know what you are drinking and maybe you will also share your tasting notes, rating, colour, reason for drinking or whatever you want.

To celebrate the launch of whisky.com (and also the world cup soccer game today..) i will have one of my absolutely favorites.

Talisker 57° north:

Nose: At first some smoke and the sea. After that a kind of sweet malt, that reminds me of peanut brittle on Danish cream-ice.

Taste: Heavy start, really full and very spicy (that Talisker pepper). Smoke and in the end fresh malt.

Finish: Long and spicy. The alcohol is not as present as supposed.

What i like so much about this one is, that its spiciness PERFECTLY covers the alcohol (57%). Also that heavy start after that gentle nose at first.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
    ben_2 liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I caught a cold. That means that I am not tasting whisky in the upcoming days. My last whisky was a Laphroaig Select. Heavily peated but smooth in character.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Godslayer Member Godslayer Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

I don;t stick to one bottle and go threw it, I mix it up between a few, I have a dozen or so open now, the couple I am focusing on are, Highland Park 10 year old(it needed something, maybe at 46% or cask stregth it would be better, or the addition of some first fill sherry casks), interesting malt, feels flat though compared to my 18 year old bottle, very sweet, apple taste, with a dollap of caramel, its cheap enough to be worth trying but isnt a staple malt. Talisker 10, we all know this one, spicy and peaty, defiantly a full bodied powerful malt. Arbeg Ugidial, peaty, only recently made it to the shelve of stores in my area, interesting malt, powerful and amazing aroma, I like to leave it in my mouth for a few minutes and really play with it, changes and gets silky smooth. I also have bowemore 15 in the mix, arguably the best basic bowemore, silky chocolate and cherries on the pallet with minor levels of peat smoke, slowly becoming one of my favorites.

• Quin
    Topic creator
    Member Quin
    Options

Yesterday, the Laphroaig Triple Wood

Nose:
    A lot Laphroaig typical smoke, additionally the taste all Quatercask bottlings have. Vanille, spice and far away some dark fruits in the background.

Taste:
    A lot power, full. Spicy and sparkling. Some Oak. Not really much to find. Neary the same tings, that the nose predicted.

Finish:
    Long and dry. Oak.

I like Laphroaig, but i don't like the taste of their QC bottlings (QC, PX and now triplewood).

The day before, Lagavulin Triple matured (FOCM)

Nose:
    At first a very strange note. Like burning rubber, but it disappears fast. After that Lagavulin typical smoke, but notably intense. On the other hand the maritime note is surprisingly light. Fruits? - no.

Taste:
    Strong, smoky and a bit spicy. After the first strong blow, there is a lovely taste of vanilla and soot. maybe a bit anise. It follows a leathery not of ham, comparable to the Ardbog.

Finish:
    Spicy and ham. The ham stays forever...

I don't want to compare these two. Although they are very similar in the making, they are still very different. I don't like them both very much, but they are no bad whiskies. I would prefer the Lagavulin in future, though i wouldn't buy a full bottle.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Yesterday I was trying the Glenrothes 25 years old. A very nice and fruity whisky. Also very well matured, so you get a nice smooth and roundness. A bit to expensive for my pocket.

Nose: Fruity and sweet with dark fruits.

Taste: Also the fruitiness with sherry.

Finish: The fruitiness becomes dryer and dryer as the Taste finishes.

I would have expected more oak from a 25 year old single malt. But in the end a good whisky.

I work for whisky.com
  • Corso_theRed Member Corso_theRed Joined: 03.08.2014Posts: 11Ratings: 0
    Options

Yesterday I had a wee dram of my slowly dwindling Glendronach CS Batch1. Kind of hesitant to buy any of the newer batches, since the first one is one of my favorites.

• Godslayer Member Godslayer Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Got bored so I experimented and got this

40 ml ardbeg ugidiual
    45 ml laphroig quarter cask
    15 ml springbank cask strength
    05 ml white rum

suprisingly delicious, I wanted something new, I have two minutures of amrut, reg/peated but I can't bring myshelf to open them, so I decided to create a vatted malt. Came out better than expected after I left it for a day to marry.Loaded with sweetness from the ardbeg but also carried alot of the laphroig character with just a slight influence of spice from the spring bank and than the rum just kindof lightend it up in the slightest of ways. I'm probably the only person who would do that lol, little rum finish never hurt anything.

• ASWhisky Member Joined: 07.07.2014Posts: 26Ratings: 0
    , edited January 25 2015 at 10:54AM
    Options
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options
    "Godslayer" wrote:
    Got bored so I experimented and got this

40 ml ardbeg ugidiual
    45 ml laphroig quarter cask
    15 ml springbank cask strength
    05 ml white rum

suprisingly delicious, I wanted something new, I have two minutures of amrut, reg/peated but I can't bring myshelf to open them, so I decided to create a vatted malt. Came out better than expected after I left it for a day to marry.Loaded with sweetness from the ardbeg but also carried alot of the laphroig character with just a slight influence of spice from the spring bank and than the rum just kindof lightend it up in the slightest of ways. I'm probably the only person who would do that lol, little rum finish never hurt anything.

How was the peat level compared to the Laphroaig?

I work for whisky.com
    Options

Significantly less, if laphroig quarter cask was a 1, i would place my vatted malt creation around a 60-65. Which is logical given the fino influence in the ardbeg and the unpeated springbank, with the lightness of white rum. Overall I enjoy blending malts, I am looking at creating a peated islay whisky liquor for the cold winter months, we see -50 here in fort mc.

• ASWhisky Member Joined: 07.07.2014Posts: 26Ratings: 0
    , edited January 25 2015 at 10:45AM
    Options