Your first whisky

• susuwatari
    Topic creator
    Member susuwatari

Hello from Asia,

I am so glad to be here and meeting you guys since there is no such a community in my city.I just started to taste whisky in a few months.
    I had drunk some Johnnie Walker and Chivas in bars, some Hibiki offered by my friend in the past.But these are not the one dragged me into whisky.
    I went to Yamazaki Distillery and tasted Hakushu 18yo, and this changed things.
    I was so impressed by the fresh forest expression in the nose. It gave me the whole picture of Hayao Miyazaki's "Princess Mononoke" (it's a Japanese Anime if anyone knows it).
    Then from there I have tasted about 20 Japanese whisky and now getting into Scotch.

Please share with me your first whisky, it doesn't mean to be the first one to taste but the one which brought you into whisky. I would love to hear the story.:smile:

• Tarahs Member Joined: 03.03.2016Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

I Drank my first whiskey in Japan: a Laphroaig 10years and i liked it, didn't think whiskies were so good to drink :wink: Since i was in Japan later i tried few Japanese whiskies of course, i liked Nikka but since i was (and still am) kinda newbie i aimed for the less prestigious ones so i drank lots of Kaku. Funny thing about Kaku is that few bars gave a "normal" quantity... but in Kyoto there was this Hawaian bar near the Pontocho that filled normal glasses of water full of Kaku lol, so it was like almost 0.2 liters of Kaku for just 500Yen (4€).
    The bartender was probably drunk or wasn't aware of what he was pouring, lucky me !

So.... yeah, Laphroaig was the whiskey that pushed me to taste more whiskies, but it was probably Kaku that pushed me to love whiskies :biggrin:

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

My first Single Malt was of course Glenfiddich. My buddy came back from Scotland with such a bottle. It changed my mind completely.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

my first taste of single malt was on my tour of edradour last year, that for sure changed my mind about it

• ron56pvi Member Joined: 09.11.2015Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

My first whisky was Laphroaig 10 which I bought 10 minutes after watching Ralfy.com review #272. Other than having an occasional cognac with my father, I have always been a beer of wine drinker. Wow peated whiskey's, then sherry bombs, cask strength single malts, cask strength bourbons, irish whisky, ryes, now craft distilled Pennsylvania offerings- my bucket list is to try them all. I even have a bottle of absinth and a spoon. Favorites? Glenlivet Nadurra, Aberlour Abundah, Bookers Center Cut, Stagg Jr., Knappogue Castle, Compass Box Great Street Artists blend, Elmer T Lee, Elijah Craig cask strength, Monkey Shoulder, and best of all Ardbeg Uigeadail.

• redbeard25 Member Joined: 11.03.2016Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    , edited March 11 2016 at 10:05PM
    Options

Ron, my experience was exactly like yours in regards to first purchase of the Laphroaig because of watching the review on Ralphy's site. As well as Ardbeg Uigeadail being my absolute favorite scotch whisky, also anything from Glendronach so far. Funny thing is I don't think I would ever recommend Laphroaig as a beginning purchase for someone just trying out single malts...lol. But I did and still do enjoy it.

Mike. (newcomer to the site)

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

I cannot remember the first whisky. But the first time I remember was the Lagavulin 16. We used to enjoy it for the excitement because it was far too intense for us.

I work for whisky.com
  • Rikske Member Rikske Joined: 17.02.2016Posts: 1CollectionRikskes CollectionRatings: 1
    Options

First time in Scotland, first distillery tour, first whisky, Cardhu 12 years.