Macallan 18 or Ruby

• Islayman_2
    Topic creator
    Joined: 02.03.2016Posts: 3CollectionIslaymans CollectionRatings: 0

Having got lots of good whisky, a friend and I are considering buying a bottle of extraordinary whisky, probabably Macallan.

We are thinking about spending maybe £200 and are thinking about Macallan 18 sherry oak but how much better is it than the NAS Ruby. Is it worth spending an extra £50 or £60?

Maybe Horst could give me an opinion?

Thanks,

Ian.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Horst is away for a few days. I left him a message with the link to this topic.

I work for whisky.com
  • ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Horst is unable to login:

Both whiskies are extraordinary good. I would prefer the 18yo Sherry cask, because it is in sum older and more mature. The Ruby instead is 'supercharged' with good casks but I think there are also a few younger whiskies in. They give the Ruby a more intense character.

I work for whisky.com
  • Glenben_2 Member Glenben_2 Joined: 02.10.2015Posts: 15CollectionBen's Whisky CollectionRatings: 1
    Options

I agree with Ben that the Macallan Sherry Oak 18 Year is the best. Is the Macallan Edition No. 1 available in the UK? If so, I would encourage you to give that one a try. Here in the US, it is sold for less than half the cost of the 18 Year Sherry Cask. It's a different whisky but a very exciting one at a reasonable price. Check out the link in my bio for a review I posted on Instagram last week.

Options
    "Glenben" wrote:
    I agree with Ben that the Macallan Sherry Oak 18 Year is the best. Is the Macallan Edition No. 1 available in the UK? If so, I would encourage you to give that one a try.

That was Horst's opinnion from a place with no internet access. But I think Macallan 18 is great as well.

I work for whisky.com