Oak and Sherry Suggestions

• Joshmang123
    Topic creator
    Member Joshmang123
    Joined: 14.12.2015Posts: 6CollectionJosh's CollectionRatings: 20

Hey everyone. I'm wondering what suggestions you have for me for Scotch whiskys I can buy here in Canada that have the strong wood, oak and sherry taste. I'm looking for something in comparison to the Auchentoshan Three Wood or the Glendronach 15 year revival (my personal favorite). Any suggestions?

If you can't go beyond your limits...push your boundaries
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    , edited January 27 2016 at 7:10AM
    Options

Try some Glenfarclas from the 15 y.o. upwards - a lot of oak wood there! :wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

JOSH,

if you can buy edradour i would recommed EDRADOUR 12 YEAR OLD CALEDONIA, and if you can get it the fairy flag both amazing

• Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

I wanted to suggest Aberlour A'bunadh but then noticed you already have it in your collection. Where on Earth did you get Batch 28? Most stores are on batch 50-52 now here in Alberta. Personally I often prefer a'bunadh over the revival for a bit more bitterness and higher abv.... And nice to see another Tomatin fan here :biggrin:

• Joshmang123
    Topic creator
    Member Joshmang123
    Joined: 14.12.2015Posts: 6CollectionJosh's CollectionRatings: 20
    Options

Andyvans a dear friend of mine passed away and his family gave it to me. They said he would like to to finish a bottle he started. It's a lovely dram but I only have one glass a year.

If you can't go beyond your limits...push your boundaries
    schnazola liked that
  • SuperDrams Member Joined: 20.11.2015Posts: 12Ratings: 30
    Options

Glenfarclas 21 or Dalmore 15. Both comparable to the Glendronach you enjoy.

No logo on the foam!
  • SpemSuccessusAlit Member SpemSuccessusAlit Joined: 12.03.2016Posts: 7CollectionSpemSuccessusAlits CollectionRatings: 86
    Options

I don't know about the western provinces but in NB the Glenfarclas has incredible prices for the age/quality, one of my favorites. I have yet to try the >15 but the 15 itself is IMHO one of the best drams at <100$.

I second every suggestion here and might also add a classic Glenlivet 18 for roughly the same price as the Aberlour's recent batches. It can bring the nice spicy oak you seek!

Cheers!