30 Year Old Whisky

• Glenben_2
    Topic creator
    Member Glenben_2
    Joined: 02.10.2015Posts: 15CollectionBen's Whisky CollectionRatings: 1

Hello everyone. I have been enjoying your posts for several months now and want to say thank you to everyone for sharing such helpful knowledge and insight on the topic of single malt whisky!

I am interested in purchasing a bottle of 30 Year Old whisky (preferably from Scotland) to commemorate my 30th birthday next month. This particular bottle will be something that I would like to have in my collection for several years, even a decade or more, and enjoy solely at celebratory occasions with family and friends. It will not remain sealed and it is not to be viewed as an "investment" in any way. It will only be enjoyed by myself and those who share a mutual appreciation for good whisky! I would like to spend no less that $1,000 USD.

For those of you who have had the opportunity to taste 30 year old whisky, is there a particular bottle that you would recommend? If so, would you be kind enough to elaborate on why?

I understand that personal taste preference is a major factor. Personally, I have been able to find enjoyment in almost every scotch whisky I have come across from the heavily sherried A'bunadh from Aberlour to the Octomore range from Bruichladdich. Yes, there are some whiskies I consider to be "a personal favorite" but for the purpose of this purchase, I am open to anything!

Some bottles I am considering:

-Balvenie 30
    -Highland Park 30 (Horst, I really enjoyed your YouTube review of this one!)
    -Talisker 30
    -Caol Ila 30
    -Glenfiddich 30

I realize that in many instances, the evolution of flavor and character in whisky is somewhat negligible after 21-25 years. The age of this particular bottle is intended to be symbolic but if any of you prefer the 25 Year expression of these malts or any other for that matter, I am open to hearing your input.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Comradegeneral Member Joined: 30.12.2015Posts: 7Ratings: 0
    Options

Hi Glenben,
    I have been in very similar shoes as you are a couple weeks ago.
    After some online research, I have bought a bottle of 30yo Talisker vintage 2007.

I have not tried it myself yet, but if it's anything like the Talisker's I had so far (10yo, Distiller's Edition, 18yo), I will not be disappointed.

I recommend you follow course and do your research online before purchase.
    Hope this helps.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

I have to say, the best, most expensive whisky was the Black Bowmore. HP 30 was really nice as well. Have a look at the Glen Grant 50 expressions. In Germany they are below 1000€/$.

I work for whisky.com
  • Absorber Member Joined: 11.11.2015Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    , edited January 21 2016 at 9:03AM
    Options

For me, Ballantines 30YO was unexpectedly wonderful even though it's a blend (but I like good blends).
    Highland Park 30YO was also quite outstanding. Glenfiddich 30YO didn't impress me as much. And I haven't tried the rest from your list.

By the way, I was invited to a tasting in December and had a glass of Royal Salute 62 Gun Salute.
    That was the most wonderful and complex whisky of all I've tasted so far (and yes, it's also a blend). But as far as I know, it's much more expensive in Europe than in Russia (don't know about Chicago). In our boutiques you can purchase it for less than 2000$ but in Europe it costs 3000$ and above. But if you want a whisky for a very special occasion, this one is surely the one I'd recommend without hesitation.

• Glenben_2
    Topic creator
    Member Glenben_2
    Joined: 02.10.2015Posts: 15CollectionBen's Whisky CollectionRatings: 1
    Options

Thank you to everyone for your help. There are some great suggestions here.

Ben - I saw the video tasting of the Black Bowmore. Truly mouth watering! The Glen Grant 50 is very intriguing although I cannot seem to find a retailer selling it for less than $1,000.

Fortunately, a local retailer has the Highland Park 30 Year (new release) available for $600 and I was able to locate a retailer in the UK selling the Talisker 30 Year vintage 2009 (full cask strength) for the equivalent of $400 shipped.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

It's really stange how the prices vary from country to country.

I work for whisky.com
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options
    "ben" wrote:

may be someone should put a post up with say 10 or 20 whisky's and there price and people from different countries should put the price from their country would be interesting to see the difference

• Maximilien Member Maximilien Joined: 19.01.2016Posts: 16Ratings: 0
    Options

why no one mentioned glenfarclas ?

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "ben" wrote:

probably due to duty, VAT and purchasing power.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 22.10.2015Posts: 0CollectionWaterTigers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Yes it comes down to personal preference. Old ones can and do get oaky due to time in the barrel some tannins too. Good old ones are balanced and are not too heavy on any one aspect. HP 30 was a good choice IMHO. I have the HP 25 (excellent) but not sure if I will go 5 more years or not but the Vlog sounded really tastily. Good luck and enjoy :biggrin:. Just picked up the Tomatin 36 yo on-line at a good price at MOM.

• James_H Member Joined: 08.10.2014Posts: 24CollectionJames_Hs CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

If it were me I would go for the Benromach 30, HP 30 or Glenfarclas 30. All fantastic options at various price points, you can't really go wrong.