Johnnie Walker GOLD vs PLATINUM

• raion
    Topic creator
    Member raion

Hi,

Is the JW-Gold worth it for its price or is it better to dish out more and get the Platinum instead.

Platinum - £66.75
    Gold - £43.35

Thanks in advance!!

Kind regards,
    Raion

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I personally find the Platinum 18 yrs a lot better, because truly aged whiskys show differences. There had been a JW Gold 18yrs before, which was excellent also. It was discontinued in 2014.

The new Gold without an age statement got more intense and powerful but lacks the complexity and finesse of a really old whisky. This Gold Reserve equals more the now very popular single malt whiskies. It is more 'en vogue' than the old fashioned blended Scotch whiskies.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    raionBrad692 liked that
  • Maximilien Member Maximilien Joined: 19.01.2016Posts: 16Ratings: 0
    Options
    "raion" wrote:
    Hi,

Is the JW-Gold worth it for its price or is it better to dish out more and get the Platinum instead.

Platinum - £66.75
    Gold - £43.35

Thanks in advance!!

Kind regards,
    Raion

try to find green label, still available in several countrys:wink:

Brad69 liked that
  • Brad69 Member Joined: 26.12.2015Posts: 15CollectionBrad69s CollectionRatings: 29
    Options

I agree with most people regarding this forum. The Gold Label here in Canada is $74.99 and it's a very good whisky I liked it a lot and would buy it again. But the Platinum Label is just so much better in every conceivable way. From the look of the box and bottle to the smell and the taste. It a much more complex whisky. Now I love Johnnie Walker Blue and that's my whisky of choice. But if I'm in a pinch for money and don't have the $279.99 for Blue Label I go straight for Platinum. It's $149.99 in Canada which is very reasonable for a premium whisky. So I would say to anyone the Gold Label is good and you will like it, but for a few dollars more the Platinum Label is a home run and is right up there with Blue Label.

Brad Bell
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

what about the XR21? it does have a 21 year age statement.

Brad69 liked that