How to use the blended sub forum

• ben_2
    Topic creator
    Guest, Administrator ben_2
    Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92

This forum contains posts about the production of blended whiskey. Did you find any whisky that contains spirits from more than one distillery. Post it.

Feel free to answer raised questions as well as post new ones.

I work for whisky.com
  • Anthony37 Member Joined: 20.12.2015Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

I have a bottle of White Horse No WA 833364.

How can I find out its age?

Cheers

/S/ Anthony J Jamrozy
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Sorry, the codes are proprietary to the bottling companies. They are only used for tracking bottles in case of danger to the consumers. If you ask them you will get no answer. Only officals from the government agencies will receive answers. It is a lot of work to look those old data up in the printed files.

Please note, that the content of a whisky bottle is not getting older in terms of maturation. Once the whisky leaves the cask, the maturation is stopped by 99.x%. Only the contact with the oak helps to mature a whisky. There are some minor oxidizations still going on the bottle. But the results a close to neglectable.

The relatively cheap whisky you mention was most likely three years and a day old, when it was filled in the bottle. With this you may have a bottle with a three years old whisky which rested for 20 yrs in a cellar. The quality of the whisky has not changed a lot, if the filling level stayed up.

And, I am afraid, the value of this often sold and still available whisky has not gone up.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    , edited January 4 2016 at 7:33PM
    Options

Actually, in addition to what Horst has already written, older Blends quite often are substantially different than their recent offspring.
    Especially older White Horse bottlings often come up with a surprisingly voluminous body and an intense and well-balanced smokiness that is very appealing to lots of whisky connoisseurs.
    So, even if you can't find out how old your bottle is, open it up and enjoy the whisky - that's what is was made for! Sláinte!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)