Eager to Learn More about Whisky

• Sharon_2
    Topic creator
    Member Sharon_2
    Joined: 27.12.2015Posts: 4CollectionSharons CollectionRatings: 10

Growing up, I didn't know my family roots . . . I never knew why when I heard bagpipes I would want to either dance or cry . . . it sounded like "home" to me. In my youth, I drank what my peers were drinking, and never really liked the taste. Just about six years ago, I went into a small liquor store and wandered around trying to decide what to purchase. One of the store owners came over to me and asked if he could help me. I said I wasn't sure what to buy. He then asked me what my heritage was . . . now, I had just discovered a few months before that my father's family came from the Aberdeenshire area of Scotland. I knew that my mother's family came from Norway, but I had tasted spirits from Norway and it was not to my liking. I told the owner of my heritage and my experience and he suggested I try the Glenvivet 12 year to start as it wasn't too heavy and not peaty. Needless to say, I was in love!!! Since then, I've tried a number of different Whiskys - my current favorite is the Balvenie Single Barrel. I do not like too much of a peat flavor in my Whisky. To me, a slice of Heaven is a shot of good Whisky, a couple of drops of spring water, and a good, sharp cheddar cheese to savor!!!! I'm hear to find out more about different Whisky and to broaden my horizons.

Always looking for a good highland Whisky. As many of my ancestors came from the Aberdeen area of Scotland, I long for a taste of home.
    hwchoyGizmo6912 liked that
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited December 29 2015 at 9:06AM
    Options

welcome to the forum Sharon and you may have come to the right place to find the answers

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

welcome Sharon... while watching Horst talk about Glenmorangie Companta.

• 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

Welcome to the forum! You can learn more by trying out more new whisky and read about what people say about the whisky...

• Sharon_2
    Topic creator
    Member Sharon_2
    Options

Thank you for the warm welcome! I was thinking about this forum as I purchased two bottles of Balvenie Double Wood from my local liquor store this afternoon (they had it on sale for the holidays). May be a bit early in the day, but I'm enjoying a wee dram along side of some blue cheese . . . heaven!

Always looking for a good highland Whisky. As many of my ancestors came from the Aberdeen area of Scotland, I long for a taste of home.
  • ToneMastaG Member ToneMastaG Joined: 31.12.2015Posts: 4CollectionToneMastaGs CollectionRatings: 5
    Options

As a newbie myself, I am curious as to what your tasting notes are on the Balvenie 12.

• Sharon_2
    Topic creator
    Member Sharon_2
    , edited December 31 2015 at 11:36PM
    Options

I just posted some notes in my collection . . . I'm into clean flavors with maybe a hint of smoke or peat, but not much. I like refreshing, fruit, honey, sherry, etc - above ground flavors. Now, my pallet may not be as developed as I would like it to be, but, forgive me, some Whisky tastes like dirt . . . and I am not a fan of that! The fact that I came across the Balvenie was due to another liquor store owner. As I was talking to him, he said if I liked Glenlivet, I would love Balvenie . . . and if I didn't, he would buy the opened bottle back from me. It pays to go to a store that has knowledgeable people. But, there is always a greater knowledge . . . That is why I've come to this forum.

• ben_2 Guest, Administrator ben_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92
    Options

Welcome to the Forum. Great to have you here.

I work for whisky.com