Favorite International Whisky?

13»
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "ctome3" wrote:
    I was in Australia last week and had a chance to try Nant Whisky. It was very nice! And what was even better was the chance to do a flight of it with three different finishes: one was finished in sherry barrels, one in port barrels and one in bourbon barrels. I had no idea that the finish would make THAT much of a difference in the final product. The sherry finish was my favorite of the three, but each had some interesting things going on.

Finishing started to get popular in the late 90s. Those second casks add most often a lot of fruity aromas to a whisky. You were lucky to have such an immediate comparison between several variations. Most of the connoisseurs like the Sherry finish best. Followed by Port and other fortified wines. The finishing in non fortified wines is becoming more and more popular.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    ctome3 liked that
  • 116520 Member 116520 Joined: 12.06.2015Posts: 90Collection116520s CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

Hi Horst!

Will you do a transit in Singapore by any chance? (Sorry to off topic)

Dennis

"horst_s" wrote:
    "ctome3" wrote:
    I was in Australia last week and had a chance to try Nant Whisky. It was very nice! And what was even better was the chance to do a flight of it with three different finishes: one was finished in sherry barrels, one in port barrels and one in bourbon barrels. I had no idea that the finish would make THAT much of a difference in the final product. The sherry finish was my favorite of the three, but each had some interesting things going on.

Finishing started to get popular in the late 90s. Those second casks add most often a lot of fruity aromas to a whisky. You were lucky to have such an immediate comparison between several variations. Most of the connoisseurs like the Sherry finish best. Followed by Port and other fortified wines. The finishing in non fortified wines is becoming more and more popular.