Opinions on Glenfiddich 12

• Joshmang123
    Topic creator
    Member Joshmang123
    Joined: 14.12.2015Posts: 6CollectionJosh's CollectionRatings: 20

Guys, I'm looking for opinions on Glenfiddich 12. I have tasted these whiskeys and have yet to enjoy a single tasting. This opinion is based on several attempts to try and recognize what people see in this particular whiskey, yet I can not enjoy it.

Has anyone else found this to be the case or am I the only one?

If you can't go beyond your limits...push your boundaries
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

got a bottle at home and have to say i like it,

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Glenfiddich 12yo has a problem. The demand for this No 1 Single Malt bestseller in the world is high. The distillery had to increase its production. Said that it is clear, that they have to bottle every single cask of its production without the possibility of a big selection (Ok, there are the Grant's Blends, which will also require some barrels).

The result is a quite weak and light Single Malt. It lacks the extreme intensity of typical malts. But this whisky tears customers from the blends into the malt segement. Therefore it is extremely important in the business.

If you would like to have a more intense expression from Glenfiddich, then you should move forward to the 15 and 18 yo. They show more, what the distillery is able to produce. And if you get your hands on the 21, 30 or even 40yrs, then you can see the very top of the whole branche.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Joshmang123
    Topic creator
    Member Joshmang123
    Options

Thank you very much. I will do just that and post my tasting notes.

Thank you for the reply.

Kindest regards from Canada.
    Josh

• pasvraiment Member pasvraiment Joined: 05.11.2015Posts: 26Collectionpasvraiments CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Glenfiddich 12 is a "easy to like" scotch... Subtle baked apples and some smooth spices? Its "user friendly"... I dont really care for it. 15 is okay, but weak, and the 18 disapointed me. Are there other scotchs you like?

• schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    Options
    "Joshmang123" wrote:
    Guys, I'm looking for opinions on Glenfiddich 12. I have tasted these whiskeys and have yet to enjoy a single tasting. This opinion is based on several attempts to try and recognize what people see in this particular whiskey, yet I can not enjoy it. Has anyone else found this to be the case or am I the only one?

I looked at your ratings, and I see that you enjoy Auchentoshan as much as I do.

I certainly would not rate Glenfiddich 12yo just one star. To me, one star indicates a BAD whisky. I don't think it's bad; it's just unremarkable. Very unremarkable. There are numerous whiskies -- even blends -- I'd rather drink. I feel the same way about The Glenlivet 12yo. Very disappointing. The Glenmorangie 10yo "The Original" is a far superior "base-level" malt. (I see you rated that one highly.)

A few weeks ago, at my weekly whisky club meeting, we had a bottle of Glenfiddich 18yo. Now, that was a nice malt. We paid US$100.00, which makes it a good value, too, but everyone in the group said the Auchentoshan Three Wood, at $65.00, is a better value.

• Joshmang123
    Topic creator
    Member Joshmang123
    Options
    "schnazola" wrote:
    "Joshmang123" wrote:
    Guys, I'm looking for opinions on Glenfiddich 12. I have tasted these whiskeys and have yet to enjoy a single tasting. This opinion is based on several attempts to try and recognize what people see in this particular whiskey, yet I can not enjoy it. Has anyone else found this to be the case or am I the only one?

I looked at your ratings, and I see that you enjoy Auchentoshan as much as I do.

I certainly would not rate Glenfiddich 12yo just one star. To me, one star indicates a BAD whisky. I don't think it's bad; it's just unremarkable. Very unremarkable. There are numerous whiskies -- even blends -- I'd rather drink. I feel the same way about The Glenlivet 12yo. Very disappointing. The Glenmorangie 10yo "The Original" is a far superior "base-level" malt. (I see you rated that one highly.)

A few weeks ago, at my weekly whisky club meeting, we had a bottle of Glenfiddich 18yo. Now, that was a nice malt. We paid US$100.00, which makes it a good value, too, but everyone in the group said the Auchentoshan Three Wood, at $65.00, is a better value.

Hey there thanks for the message. I rate my scotches based on taste and value for money. I really enjoy the Auchentoshan Three Wood, at $65.00. For the price I find its just wonderful that's why I rated it a 5 star). Same concept for the Glenmorangie 10. For the price I paid its a great, albeit light, single malt that I would purchase again (hence the 5 stars). I agree with you about the older Glenfiddich 18, it was far better than the 12. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle but the one I tried, to me, was a bad whiskey. I mean bad to the point where it was 4 years before I tried another Glenfiddich 12. Not quite as bad since my taste has developed, still not a scotch I would ever consider buying. Horst was absolutely correct though, their older ones are so much better.

Kindest Regards

• Joshmang123
    Topic creator
    Member Joshmang123
    Options
    "pasvraiment" wrote:
    Glenfiddich 12 is a "easy to like" scotch... Subtle baked apples and some smooth spices? Its "user friendly"... I dont really care for it. 15 is okay, but weak, and the 18 disapointed me. Are there other scotchs you like?

One of my favorites at this time would be the Glendronach 15 year revival. For the price you pay for this scotch its surprisingly complex. I suggest grabbing a bottle if you are a fan of sweet sherry oak, I would recommended this any day and be delighted if I got a bottle as a gift. Oban 14 and Glengoyne 10 (younger) for example are wonderful Scotches if you are a fan of something a little lighter.

schnazola liked that
  • blr Member Joined: 15.01.2016Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

What is your opninion of Glenfiddich "Utlimate" 38 years Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky? How does it taste? What's the best way to store it?

• schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    , edited January 19 2016 at 8:47PM
    Options
    "Joshmang123" wrote:
    One of my favorites at this time would be the Glendronach 15 year revival. For the price you pay for this scotch its surprisingly complex. I suggest grabbing a bottle if you are a fan of sweet sherry oak, I would recommended this any day and be delighted if I got a bottle as a gift. Oban 14 and Glengoyne 10 (younger) for example are wonderful Scotches if you are a fan of something a little lighter.

My tasting group -- the Scotch Klatch :smile: -- has had several expressions of Glendronach, and we LOVED every one of them. One of my favorite producers!

• Art_2 Member Art_2 Joined: 08.08.2014Posts: 23Ratings: 0
    Options

I've had two bottles of Glenfiddich 12, the first one almost ten years ago, I remember it was quite good with some very enjoyable and distinct pear and apple notes. The second bottle I had about 4 years ago and the flavour wasn't that good, plus it had a slight metallic note in it.

If I knew I was getting the first bottle again, I'd be happy to buy it. If I was getting the second bottle, I'd pass.