After some advice

• Rosstp1215
    Topic creator

Hi

I'm looking to get a present for my father in law for Christmas and have narrowed it down to two bottles now:

15 y/o glenlivet (French cask reserve) and a 16 y/o Longmorn single malt.

Having sampled non of them unfortunately, I'm just looking for some advice from those who have, as to which is best for overall taste and quality.

To note, my father-in-law is not a religious whiskey drinker so havs no specific preferences in regards to taste

Thanks in advance

Rosstp1215
  • Absorber Member Joined: 11.11.2015Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

Hello!

My point of view may be quite narrow as Glenlivet 15YO French Oak is my favourite whisky in terms of price/quality, but I would say that it is much more approachable than the Longmorn 16, thus having a better chance to be enjoyed by your father. Nearly all my colleagues and friends who tried Glenlivet 15YO liked it.

However, Longmorn 16YO has been discontinued this year by the distillery and all upcoming new expressions are going to be without an age statement. This is why gifting Longmorn 16YO is also a good choice: your father will be able to taste Glenlivet 15YO anytime he wants, while Longmorn 16YO will be out of the market as soon as the stores run out of stock.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    , edited December 21 2015 at 6:33AM
    Options

Good advice by Absorber - I agree.
    Longmorn would be the better choice if your father in law favoured sherried whisky - but as this isn't the case, the Glenlivet would be my favourite, too.

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options
    "Absorber" wrote:
    Hello!

My point of view may be quite narrow as Glenlivet 15YO French Oak is my favourite whisky in terms of price/quality, but I would say that it is much more approachable than the Longmorn 16, thus having a better chance to be enjoyed by your father. Nearly all my colleagues and friends who tried Glenlivet 15YO liked it.

However, Longmorn 16YO has been discontinued this year by the distillery and all upcoming new expressions are going to be without an age statement. This is why gifting Longmorn 16YO is also a good choice: your father will be able to taste Glenlivet 15YO anytime he wants, while Longmorn 16YO will be out of the market as soon as the stores run out of stock.

thanks for the advice regarding the Longmorn 16yo being discontinued. I gave away two of them recently, and they're very reasonably priced too. looks like I'll get one for myself on my next flight.

• pasvraiment Member pasvraiment Joined: 05.11.2015Posts: 26Collectionpasvraiments CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Longmorn is a more sophisticated product... Rarer... Very nice... Never really cared for the glenlivet 15... The 18, maybe, but not the 15.