Light whiskey vs hard whiskey?

• Martin8832
    Topic creator
    Member Martin8832

Which do you prefer? Me, I like my light whiskey the best! I'm a light drinker and I rarely drink but if I was going to get one i'd ge ta light drink whiskey. But I don't know any brand names that are.. Any suggestions? I'm addicted to the whiskey.com videos.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

Would you care to help me with your post - I'm kinda lost...:redface:
    Are you talking about high-Strength whiskys vs. whiskys with lower alcoholic percentages?

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "Martin8832" wrote:
    Which do you prefer? Me, I like my light whiskey the best! I'm a light drinker and I rarely drink but if I was going to get one i'd ge ta light drink whiskey. But I don't know any brand names that are.. Any suggestions? I'm addicted to the whiskey.com videos.

Thank you for the praise. But please note, that we spell whisky.com without an e in front of the y. We use this domain, because the writing without the e stays for Scotch Whisky.

Light vs hard may be interpreted in several different ways.
    1. Alcoholic strength
    2. Content of peat smoke
    3. Mouthfeel of distillery character (chili, pepper, ...)
    4. Aftertaste of the oak cask (bitterness, coffee, ...)

to 1
    You can avoid a too strong alcoholic note by adding still water to every whisky. Please use the 'dead' French ones like evian or vittel. Most often tap water is also ok, if there is no added cloride present.

to 2
    If you can not stand the peat smoke of a given whisky, you have to avoid this brand. Our whisky database shows you, if there is peat smoke in a given whisky.

to 3
    There are tasting notes to a lot of the whiskies in the whisky database. The taste varies also depending on the region it is produced in. Speyside and Lowland Single Malt Scotch Whiskies most oft lack this sharp notes. You can also reduce sharp aromas by adding still water.

to 4
    The older and darker a whisky is, the more chances are there, that the whisky acquired the bitterness of the oak cask. You can reduce this taste a little bit by adding still water.

My suggestions for you are the following Single Malt Whikies

A. Balvenie 12yrs Double Wood
    B. Cragganmore 12yrs
    C. Auchentoshan 12yrs
    D. Glenfiddich 15yrs, 18yrs

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Art_2 Member Art_2 Joined: 08.08.2014Posts: 23Ratings: 0
    Options

There are plenty of well-made 10-12 year-old single malts that make for an enjoyable & easy-drinking dram, and are widely available, such as:

Auchentoshan 12
    Cardhu 12
    Aberlour 10
    Bushmills Original
    Glenkinchie 12

and if you just want something pleasant and not too challenging, you can't really go wrong with the Chivas 12 or JW Black blends. After all, those are made to please as many people as possible.

• Absorber Member Joined: 11.11.2015Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

As far as I can see, Glenlivet is rarely recommended on this forum, but as a great lover of the brand, I will try play a role of a connoisseur here and suggest Glenlivet 15yo for you. Or even Glenlivet Nadurra First Fill Selection (add water! this whisky is in cask strength meaning ~60% ABV) which I recently tasted and became very fond of. Both these expressions are very fresh and fruity, 15yo with a finish with more of caramel and nuts, and Nadurraa First Fill with even more fruitiness and a hint of vanilla. Both expressions are very, very approachable in taste yet very rewarding.