Terrible whisky

• schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    , edited October 31 2015 at 2:47PM
    Options
    "Art" wrote:
    Other than that, I've found Bowmores disappointing and a couple of others off the top of my head that didn't present a good price-to-quality ratio were Jura 16, Auchentoshan Three Wood, Glenmorangie 12 and Tobermory 15.

I have a weekly whisky-tasting group. The six of us have been meeting for a couple of years, so we've had over a hundred malts, Bourbons, and other whiskies and fine spirits. Although we are rarely unanimous in our enthusiasm -- or lack thereof -- for a particular selection, one spirit that was loved by all was the Auchentoshan Three Wood. And at about 65 dollars American, we considered it an excellent value.

Yesterday, we had the Auchentoshan 18yo, for which we paid $112, before tax. Everyone loved that one, too, but we all agreed that the 12yo -- for less than half the price -- is a better value. Some of us preferred the Three Wood to the 18yo.

To each his own.

Joshmang123 liked that
  • Art_2 Member Art_2 Joined: 08.08.2014Posts: 23Ratings: 0
    Options
    "schnazola" wrote:
    "Art" wrote:
    Other than that, I've found Bowmores disappointing and a couple of others off the top of my head that didn't present a good price-to-quality ratio were Jura 16, Auchentoshan Three Wood, Glenmorangie 12 and Tobermory 15.

I have a weekly whisky-tasting group. The six of us have been meeting for a couple of years, so we've had over a hundred malts, Bourbons, and other whiskies and fine spirits. Although we are rarely unanimous in our enthusiasm -- or lack thereof -- for a particular selection, one spirit that was loved by all was the Auchentoshan Three Wood. And at about 65 dollars American, we considered it an excellent value.

Yesterday, we had the Auchentoshan 18yo, for which we paid $112, before tax. Everyone loved that one, too, but we all agreed that the 12yo -- for less than half the price -- is a better value. Some of us preferred the Three Wood to the 18yo.

Too each his own.

That's cool, could be that I'm wrong about the Three Wood. It's been maybe 3 years since I had it and I just remember I didn't find it any better than the cheaper 12-yo - which I do like. Hence, I was disappointed with it.

• schnazola Guest, Member schnazola Joined: 16.04.2015Posts: 31CollectionSchnaz's EmptiesRatings: 4
    Options
    "Art" wrote:
    That's cool, could be that I'm wrong about the Three Wood. It's been maybe 3 years since I had it and I just remember I didn't find it any better than the cheaper 12-yo - which I do like. Hence, I was disappointed with it.

We also thought the 12yo was a better value than the Three Wood. We paid about $50 American.

Bottle variation is a distinct possibility with this producer (Auchentoshan). Before we tasted the 18yo, we cracked open another 12yo and had a wee nip just to remind ourselves what it tasted like. One of the guys said that that particular bottle tasted noticeably different than an identical bottle he has open right now.

BTW, the 18yo is quite different from the 12yo and the Three Wood (NAS). Those two are finished in Sherry casks, which is quite apparent on the nose and palate; the 18yo isn't. It spends its whole life in former Bourbon barrels. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But . . . .

The name of this thread is "Terrible Whisky," so I am going to mention one!

We also tried the Auchentoshan Heartwood. Four out of six of us flat-out disliked it. I was on the fence. I found the "gluey" or solvent aromas and notes to be a bit off-putting. And mind you, I have a high tolerance for that characteristic, since I am accustomed to -- and enjoy -- drinking Bourbon, which often exhibits that trait. That particular expression isn't available everywhere. I think it's part of their "Travel Collection," so you may be able to get it only in duty-free shops.

Cheers!

• pasvraiment Member pasvraiment Joined: 05.11.2015Posts: 26Collectionpasvraiments CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

Worst :
    Arran port cask. Found the same off note in the Arran 10 (but less pronounce).
    Didnt care for the Glenlivet 15 and 16 but really like the 18.

Dont like the citrusy light peat of the Bowmore Tempest.

Glenfarclas 10... Not really good.

• Quin Member Quin Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 91Ratings: 0
    Options
    "116520" wrote:
    After watching the latest review, I think Fujikai is one of those terrible whisky...lol..

Its the japanese Balcones Brimstone.

regards.. ..and sorry for bad english
  • TheEngineer Member TheEngineer Joined: 29.11.2015Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

Ardbeg Corryvreckan has to be one of the worst whiskeys I've had. This stuff is like rocket fuel made in a bath tub overnight. I've heard though that there are some batch issues, and perhaps I received a bad bottle. It was harsh, nose of harsh almost rubbing alcohol, and did not sit well at all. I reluctantly bought a bottle of the 10 yr and the 10yr was fabulous.

Options
    "TheEngineer" wrote:
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan has to be one of the worst whiskeys I've had. This stuff is like rocket fuel made in a bath tub overnight.

I have an open bottle of that right now. I like it, but I also like chewing on Band-Aids.

• leswaller Member leswaller Joined: 22.11.2015Posts: 8Collectionleswallers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options
    "TheEngineer" wrote:
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan has to be one of the worst whiskeys I've had. This stuff is like rocket fuel made in a bath tub overnight. I've heard though that there are some batch issues, and perhaps I received a bad bottle. It was harsh, nose of harsh almost rubbing alcohol, and did not sit well at all. I reluctantly bought a bottle of the 10 yr and the 10yr was fabulous.

For me the Corryvreckan is quite a mouthful. Mind you, my palate is still developing but it does not lack in flavor, so it is an interesting drink. I save it for the end of the week when I want to have a long dram and slow things down, especially with its high ABV.

My whisky journey has just begun..., won't you join me?
    schnazola liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options
    "pasvraiment" wrote:
    Worst :
    Arran port cask. Found the same off note in the Arran 10 (but less pronounce).

There are a few connoisseurs out there, who do not like the Port expression of Arran. The Port also sells less than the other two finishings which are the Sauternes and the Amarone. But sales are only 10 to 20% behind.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    pasvraiment liked that
    , edited January 12 2016 at 7:46PM
    Options
    "leswaller" wrote:
    For me the Corryvreckan is quite a mouthful. Mind you, my palate is still developing but it does not lack in flavor, so it is an interesting drink. I save it for the end of the week when I want to have a long dram and slow things down, especially with its high ABV.

The Corryvreckan pushes my limits regarding phenols (peat smoke) and cresols (medicinal, BAND-AIDS). I find that it is essential to dilute it a bit to get it below 50 ABV and to enjoy the additional aromas and flavors that develop.

It certainly is not an every day malt.