Whisky Tasting Coleburn 25 (Silent Still)

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited August 31 2014 at 7:48AM

Little info aged in a Hogshead for 25 years, single cask, Dewar Rattary Cask Collection. 47.3% ABV, for those of you who dont know, Coleburn is a Speyside Malt, that was used for blending, I dont think there were any official bottlings, at least I have never seen one.

Ok so to start I bought this in April and have been slowly enjoying it, I must say time in the bottle has improved it immensely, originally this would be a slightly disappointing malt, but time has done wonders and made it amazing... little sentimental, this is the first bottle north of 21 that I have bought and the only silent still bottling. I bought it for $135 canadian, making it a value malt. Ok now for the review

Smell: sweet vanilla and caramel notes, slight licorice and wood tannins, burning oak(not peat smoke)(I dont know what it is) like a wood furnace that is loaded with slighly wet maple wood.light citrus, kiwi and more sweatness, this is a classic sweet speysider, the higher proof pushes that fact. slight malt and loaded with peppery spiciness. Little bit of a salt scent and undertones of apple or perhaps pear.

Taste: at first she was rough, she has come along but still isn't a push over, like say blue label or a standard 12 year old glen whatever ya call it. at first you get classic maltiness, real manly dram this, than a slight burn(was initially a massive burn(think red label) than comes sweet slightly burnt caramel and back notes of spiced vanilla, perhaps chai tea infused caramel, with a drop of vanilla extract, it may not even be there, it may be playing with me, transferring into caramel apple pops( the type you get around Halloween and finally it smooths out in your mouth. Finally it transforms bringing about more fruit and malt(think a strong Belgium beer) a 10% ABV one that was made well, finally returning to sweetness.

Finish: slight apple or pear note as it cascades down my throat, finishing dry, very reminiscent of HP in that regard, but sweeter.

Final Notes:This is a malt that has touched me and plays on my favorite scents and tastes, I presume a well aged bourbon mixed with a second fill sherry malt and a slight touch of Ardbeg could simulate this... No I wont be trying.

I almost dont want to rate this one, it is good but it needs time... lots of time, if you find a bottle, it is inexpensive, take a sip and put it aside, taking it out every few weeks and watch it blossom, from a mangy caterpillar into the beautiful butterfly this has become. Depending upon oxygenation this malt could be a 75 to a 92/93 out of 100, it may even get better as I have only had 6 glasses so far.

• Godslayer
    Topic creator
    Member Godslayer
    Joined: 11.07.2014Posts: 56CollectionGodslayers CollectionRatings: 0
    Options
    "Godslayer" wrote:

Little info aged in a Hogshead for 25 years, single cask, Dewar Rattary Cask Collection. 47.3% ABV, for those of you who dont know, Coleburn is a Speyside Malt, that was used for blending, I dont think there were any official bottlings, at least I have never seen one.

Ok so to start I bought this in April and have been slowly enjoying it, I must say time in the bottle has improved it immensely, originally this would be a slightly disappointing malt, but time has done wonders and made it amazing... little sentimental, this is the first bottle north of 21 that I have bought and the only silent still bottling. I bought it for $135 canadian, making it a value malt. Ok now for the review

Smell: sweet vanilla and caramel notes, slight licorice and wood tannins, burning oak(not peat smoke)(I dont know what it is) like a wood furnace that is loaded with slighly wet maple wood.light citrus, kiwi and more sweetness, this is a classic sweet speysider, the higher proof pushes that fact. slight malt and loaded with peppery spiciness. Little bit of a salt scent and undertones of apple or perhaps pear.

Taste: at first she was really rough, she has come along but still isn't a push over, like say blue label or a standard 12 year old glen whatever ya call it. At first you get classic maltiness, with some spiced raisans, real manly dram this, than a slight burn(was initially a massive burn(think red label) than comes sweet slightly burnt caramel and notes of spiced vanilla, perhaps chai tea infused caramel, with a drop of vanilla extract, it may not even be there(the vanilla) it may be playing with me, transforming into caramel apple pops( the type you get around Halloween and finally it smooths out in your mouth.(Simillar to ardbeg, meaning you get a wonderful silky mouth feel) Finally it transforms bringing about more fruit and malt(think a strong Belgium beer) a 10% ABV one that was made well, finally returning to sweetness.

Finish: slight apple or pear note as it cascades down my throat, finishing dry, very reminiscent of HP in that regard, but sweeter. There is beauty in this unbalanced equation of sweet malt and spicy afterlay

Final Notes:This is a malt that has touched me and plays on my favorite scents and tastes(reminding me of a favorite childhood candy, my grandma used to give me on halloween), I presume a well aged bourbon mixed with a second fill sherry malt and a slight touch of Ardbeg could simulate this... No I wont be trying.

I almost dont want to rate this one, it is good but it needs time... lots of time, if you find a bottle, it is inexpensive, take a sip and put it aside, taking it out every few weeks and watch it blossom, from a mangy caterpillar into the beautiful butterfly this has become. Depending upon oxygenation this malt could be a 75 to a 92/93 out of 100, it may even get better as I have only had 6 glasses so far and have about 15 to go.