hello from sunny rochdale

• joe-mac
    Topic creator

new to collecting and plan my first outing to either macallan and /or the glen morangie distilleries . are their any more I should know about on my route from the pennines .

• Suzanne1967 Guest, Member Suzanne1967 Joined: 09.05.2015Posts: 68CollectionSuzanne and Lee's drinking CollectionRatings: 164
    , edited May 9 2019 at 8:06AM
    Options

Hello @joe-mac,

Travelling up from Rochdale to Macallan or to Glenmorangie you will pass close to quite a few distileries, many of which have some worthwhile tours... From Rochdale to Glasgow (M6 + M74) you will pass within 10 miles of the Lakes Distillery near Keswick, then within 10 miles of Annandale just over the border into Scotland - both doable on a daytrip from Rochdale - if you have transport.

Once in Glasgow you have Auchentoshan, Glengoyne, and Clydeside Distilleries, and also Deanston all within about 45 minutes of one another - Deanston is a short diversion from the A9 near Stirling.

Tullibardine is enroute to Perth, just off the A9, then in Pitlochry you have Blair Atholl and Edradour, and 45 mins further on there is Dalwhinnie...

Macallan is in Speyside, which has a plethora of Distilleries to chose from, Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Aberlour, Ben Riach, Glen Grant, Glenlivet, Cragganmore, Cardhu, Glenfarclas, GlenMoray, Glenglassaugh, Benromach, Strathisla, and Glendronach...

Glenmorangie is a little further north, about an hour or so above Inverness by car, on the route from Pitlochry you will pass Tomatin, about 5 miles from Glen Ord, then Dalmore and on to Glenmo... About 5 miles from Glenmorangie is Balblair, and about 30 minutes away is Clynelish and Brora Distilleries.. and if you can, then Old Pulteney is about another 90 minutes further north of there....

Plenty of scope for a grand tour and to experience many distilleries along the way, although I would caution you to do no more than 2 or 3 in a day, take sample bottles with you if driving so you can snifff and sip the samples and then bottle it for consumption later at your accomodation...

There are several maps available, some online, this was the first one I found, not quite up to date, but a good starting point... https://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/map/Scotland/ Alteernatively, look in the database, at the videos of Distillery Visits by Horst and at the many visits that folks have posted about..

Have fun!

Suzanne

Whiskygalore liked that