Japanese whisky prices going crazy here!

2»
  • DanParker Member Joined: 12.08.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

I just managed to find two bottles of hakushu 12 in a small town bottle store where I live in new Zealand for $115 nzd ( about $75 usd)  score!! Il be holding on to these as there already selling for $300 online here 

• buckwurst Member Joined: 06.09.2018Posts: 7Ratings: 0
    Options

This is just normal market economics. Demand has increased while supplies have dwindled, in addition, the fact that there won't be anymore age statement whiskies from Nikka or Suntory for the foreseeable future (at least 10 years according to one Suntory source) means that supplies are not just limited, but also finite. 

I used to drink Yamazaki 18 highballs in Japan in the late 90s for JPY 700.... I wish I'd known then what I know now. For people who aren't used to Japanese whisky, the aged stuff from Suntory, Nikka and Kuriazawa are fantastic, as are the various offerings from Ichiro/Chichibu, but they're now no longer anything like good value. Non aged stuff from other distilleries or blends can be very variable so try before paying a lot.

• alejandromendez Member alejandromendez Joined: 26.01.2021Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

It's true, Japanese Whiskies are getting unaffordable, hope to be lucky and get one Harmony like this one as soon as I can...

• potstillhead Member Joined: 21.02.2021Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

I think I saw something about a  change in regulations for labelling of Japenese whisky going forward

• kiki_2 Member Joined: 23.04.2021Posts: 4CollectionOn my shelvesRatings: 140
    Options

I think reason why people paying few hundreds USD for 12YO Japanese whisky is just hype. I am not saying Japanese whisky are bad or something I just want say there are almost equal quality whisky for 1/3 of the price.

Generally people appreciate some whisky more if they paid it more (my experience) what leads to chain reaction until some point when Japanese whiskys will not be buy to drink but to keep for special occasions or to resell latter...

• Whisky_Lovers_Society Member Whisky_Lovers_Society Joined: 25.07.2021Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

Would be interesting to see what the prices will end up going to with the release of the Glenfarclas Resident Evil 25 addition.  I see that there is a lot of interest already to get a bottle.  

• Kaws12310 Member Joined: 28.05.2023Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@nikku have Yamasaki 50 & 55 years for sale. Lmk if anyone is interested. Thanks