What whisky made you fall in love with whisky?

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4

As the title says, I'd like to hear about the dram that turned you into a malt chaser. I'm sure we all had plenty of cheap whisky mixed in drinks and slammed down as shots before we found one that we actually appreciated and felt the need to enjoy slow and neat. I know I did! My first love of whisky came from a gift from my girlfriend. It was a bottle of Jameson Gold Reserve. I poured myself a dram of this fully expecting it to burn and taste horrible (as did the cheap whisky of my past) and I was blown away at the smoothness and sweet complexity. I had no idea whisky could be so good! I was hooked. Started reading about whisky and became fascinated at the process involved and the history surrounding it. I hope Horst reads this and lends a reply! Sometimes I imagine Horst came out of the womb with a dram in hand and a palate from the Gods, but I'm sure thats (probably) not the case. Or maybe it is? Maybe Horst is a Whisky God? I'm not ruling it out :wink: 

Anyway, looking forward to reading your replies. Cheers

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

The one dram that got me into the world of whisky were a 34 year old Clynelish.

Clynelish 34 yo 1972/2007 (50.5%, The Single Malts of Scotland) 

I had tasted some single malts like Lagavulin before but never tasted anything old before and this bottle was something special. The thing that really got me over was the long wonderful aftertaste. So long and so wonderful. One needed just a sip and I was happy for many minutes. Ahh, good memories.

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@bedlamborn It's hard to be impressed with anything else when you start with 30+ year old scotch!

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

But now I can enjoy different single malts much more compared to that time. As I have learned so much more about different whiskies.

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@bedlamborn I was really hoping Horst would do a review of my beloved Gold Reserve, but i dont believe he has. Ralfy (my second favorite whisky reviewer) has. His final note on this whisky had me laughing! "If this bottle had an arse, the sun would be shining out of it". HAHAHA! 

~Joel Rosenburg

Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

I think that @horst_s has done the Jameson Gold in German at whisy.de youtube channel if you know some German you can check it out.

• A.Shafner Guest, Member A.Shafner Joined: 28.12.2016Posts: 10CollectionWhisky ShelvesRatings: 138
    Options

I started with Glenlivet 12. One of my coworkers brought it to the hotel on our business trip. My next one was JW Black. Three months after that, I bought Macallan Cask Strength and never stop buying/enjoining whisky.

• BurpoBelcho Member BurpoBelcho Joined: 15.04.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage image

Glenfarclas 25 is my answer.

• Highlander_2 Member Joined: 31.08.2017Posts: 168Ratings: 0
    Options

@BurpoBelcho First whisky that really got me into single malts was Glenfarclas 15,but first amazing one I tried was Glenfarclas 25..last October £35 off,as was Malt of the Month!What a bargain!

• OregonGypsy Member OregonGypsy Joined: 16.04.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I was at a birthday party for a young man in our group of friends last night.  Now, they are all 20 somthings.  My husband and I are well, well aged.  In our 40’s.  We brought a bottle of Jameson Stout for the birthday boy.  This was my first encounter with whisky of any kind.  The kids wanted to do shots.   (Why???)   With things to take the taste out of their mouth right after.   That made me sad.   It was delicious.  Smooth, warm, just good for sipping.   So I had 4 like that.  But up here in Alaska I’m sad to know tha any future exposure to finer whisky will be slim to none.   It makes me very sad.   I would love to explore the art and craft of whisky. 

OregonGypsy

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@OregonGypsy Yep. Good whiskey is wasted on most 20 something year olds. It was on me, I know that. Theres a certain age where you begin to taste the complexities of whiskey. Prior to that age, it just tastes like alcohol and serves one purpose: Sobriety destruction. 

I have a bottle of Jameson Stout in my bar. Very tasty stuff! Why are you unable to acquire whisky in Alaska? Do you live in a dry county? (I hear there are many in Alaska). 

~Joel Rosenburg