Blended Rye Review: High West Double Rye!

• SpiritNovice
    Topic creator
    Member SpiritNovice
    Joined: 24.05.2016Posts: 2CollectionWhiskeys I've owned and tried.Ratings: 1
    , edited February 23 2018 at 3:11PM

So this is my review of the High West Double Rye! blended whiskey, I discovered this recently and was just blown away by it's uniqueness and flavor profile for it's price point, hope you enjoy!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mashbill: 2 year old: 95% rye, 5% barley malt from MGP & 16 year old: 53% rye, 37% corn, 10% barley malt from Barton Distillery.

ABV: 46%

Nose: A complex nose on this one. Rye spice is very forward but is also paired with baked cinnamon apple, almost like an apple pie or a cider, towards the middle it developes into a more sour mustard seed and dill pickle character and finishes minty.

Palate: It follows the nose fairly closely, nice hit of rye spice is immediate but not overwhelming, the mustard character is replaced with a more herbal, almost gin like flavor, and finishing with a minty menthol note.

Finish: Beautiful warmth and spiciness but balanced so it has little burn, longevity is mid-long, leaving behind a minty cool feeling in the mouth.

Price Point: $33.00-$38.00 per 750ml at my local stores.

Mark: 89/100

Finishing thoughts: This is one of the most unique tasting whiskies I've ever had, complex and full, but balanced. Nice spice, but little burn, just enough to keep it from being overly smooth. Solid price point and one of a kind flavors make this my favorite rye to date, will have a permanent spot on my shelf.