Advice on Single Malt’s

• Rubyl752
    Topic creator

Hello everyone,

I have my Godsons christening coming up and as a gift I would like to get him a bottle of whiskey that will be able to keep well so that we can drink it on his 18th birthday. 

I have been searching the internet for reviews and advice for ages and I just cannot seem to find the correct information. 

What good whiskeys will be able to keep for 18 years? I don’t have a massive budget and ideally I need to keep it under £50. 

Thank you very much in advance for anybody taking the time to help me,

Robyn

UK 

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Rubyl752 

any whiskies, as long as unopened and kept in an upright position, away from exposure to light and heat, will keep indefinitely.

since you intend to drink it on his 18th birthday, and considering the budget, perhaps an 18 years old single malt would have the numbers matching up nicely. prices vary very much across the world, so perhaps you can check out the shops for something with an 18 year old age statement and within your budget bracket. 

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Rubyl752 

As @hwchoy sais whisky will keep very well if stored properly.

My suggestions is a bit different. Is to buy a single malt that was bottled the same birth year. Independent bottlers have many of them and they are usually cheaper than normal bottlings. If you are lucky you can even find a bottle that was bottled on the same date.

hwchoyRubyl7522 liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@bedlamborn @Rubyl752 

in fact that's what I did for my two kids. each got a 21 yo special release that was released on their birth years. the elder girl born in 2015 got a Laphroaig 21 yo released that year for FoL 21st anniversary. the younger boy born in 2017 got a Glenfiddich 21 yo Winter Storm, signed Brian Kinsman.  Fortuitously the girl also got a Dalmore SG50 Pioneer Edition (released in 2015, total 2015 numbered bottles, to commemorate Singapore's 50th Anniversary of Independence) autographed by Richard Paterson. She is supposed to open the bottle at SG100, on her 50th birthday, although I am unlikely to last that long :biggrin:

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@hwchoy 

That is some awesome planning!

@Rubyl752 

If you contact a good whiskyshop maybe they can help you find a bottle of the right vintage and date. People working in good whiskyshops usually are very good.

hwchoyRubyl7522 liked that
  • Rubyl752
    Topic creator
    Options

@hwchoy thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it! I’m struggling to find a whiskey shop in my area but fingers crossed as the search goes on!

• Rubyl752
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn that’s such a great idea thank you so much! I just need to find a bottler in my area now!

• Rubyl752
    Topic creator
    Options

@hwchoy wow that’s amazing!!!! What a lovely gift!!!!