Strathisla 1949

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21

I went into a local pub there people usually drink beer and not so much whisky but they have many bottles of whisky there so for me it is a good place. I saw a bottle behind some others and asked to see it. To my surprise it was a Strathisla 1949 bottled by G&M. The price was quite cheap at 12£ per cl so I had to try it. So how did it taste? Oak, oak and then some more oak. Did I forget oak? And the oak were old oak, not fresh oak. Interesting but not worth the money. But fun to have tried once.

hwchoy liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@bedlamborn That oak is very typical for these whiskies. I had a 40yrs old and one from 1960,1962 and 1965. So you were happy to have an original and no fake. The real price would have been 4 times as high.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    bedlamborn liked that
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@horst_s 

The Pub that I goes to belongs to a chain called Bishops Arms and they take pride in having good whiskies but at some places people don't drink so much whisky and at these places I can find some very good old whisky for not so expensive prices. Like Bruichladdich 1973 and the above mentioned Strathisla 1949.