Royal Stewart Blend

• nanochicken
    Topic creator
    , edited December 5 2017 at 11:21AM

I was hoping someone may have information on this bottle I was gifted recently. I can’t find much about it online

imageimageimageimageimage

Any info would be much appreciated.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited December 5 2017 at 3:35PM
    Options

@nanochicken 

Whenever there is a bottle I'm not familiar with, I'll look it up in scotchwhiskyauctions.com

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/auctions/search/?q=royal+stewart.  The results show that it's definitely not a collector's item :lol:

As the label says, it's made by Stewart & Son of Dundee https://scotchwhisky.com/whiskypedia/3247/stewart-son-of-dundee/.  Stewart & Son is owned by Pernod Ricard.  Pernod Ricard owns a lot of well-known distilled spirit companies: Absolut Vodka, Chivas Regal blended scotch, and Jameson Irish Whiskey, to name a few.

The name bottle's name "Royal Stewart" is a reference to the House of Stewart; royalty from the 1300's to the 16/1700's.  Interestingly, the House of Stewart family tartan (pattern) is fittingly called Royal Stewart Tartan:

The Royal Stewart tartan

As you can see, the pattern is identical to the gift bag you have. 

So, there is a short history of the name.  But as far as what whiskies are used to make the blend...?  I have no clue.

Bottom line, it appears to be a cheap affordable bottle of scotch that, although should be tried neat at least once, will probably be best mixed with coke.   Even the top tells me that it's to be used as a mixer, as it's a screw cap.  Of course, not all screw-cap whiskies are cheap.  Some are actually of great quality and are perfectly fine neat;  Johnnie Walker Green and several Japanese whiskies are the first that comes to mind.  Although I've never had this bottle, I'm guessing that Royal Stewart is not one of those fine whiskies.  Proceed with caution, lol.

Regardless, a gift is a gift and should definitely be appreciated.  Perhaps give the gifter a sample once you open it...