Blending and Bourbon

• Sanjit_Keskar
    Topic creator
    Member Sanjit_Keskar

If straight Bourbon is blended with other straight Bourbons of different ages will this be termed Blended Bourbon

what if a Straight Bourbon of 3 years is blended with 1 yr old Bourbon what will appear on the label 

Thanks

• Marko_I Member Marko_I Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

If straight Bourbon is blended with other straight Bourbons of different ages will this be termed Blended Bourbon

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.22 doesn't even mention distilleries, so, if I understand it right, straight bourbon + straight bourbon = straight bourbon.

"...and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type."

what if a Straight Bourbon of 3 years is blended with 1 yr old Bourbon what will appear on the label
    It should be 1 yr old Bourbon, because the whole mixture isn't older than 1 year and doesn't fit the requirements for "straight", but still is "produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn[...] respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers"

• Sanjit_Keskar
    Topic creator
    Member Sanjit_Keskar
    Options

Thanks Sir

One last question

Can Straight Bourbon a 'mix' of old and young maturing Bourbons of a single distiller.  Lets say ABC have 4 year old and 7 year old Bourbon maturing and mix them to make their final Bourbon.   Can they?

If an age had to be placed on the label what would it be?

Would it be labelled blended bourbon or a blend of (straight) bourbons?

• Marko_I Member Marko_I Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

Can Straight Bourbon a 'mix' of old and young maturing Bourbons of a single distiller.
    Yes. But the Distiller doesn't even seem to matter.

Lets say ABC have 4 year old and 7 year old Bourbon maturing and mix them to make their final Bourbon.   Can they?
    Yes.
    If an age had to be placed on the label what would it be?
    Except the two years for "straight", the age isn't mentioned in the legal text, but as such an age statement has to be true, it probably would be "at least 4 years old".

Would it be labelled blended bourbon or a blend of (straight) bourbons?
    It would be labelled "Straight Bourbon".
    The US-definiton of "blended" is about types of whisky. If you mix different types (bourbon, rye, wheat or/and simply whisky) you get blend (It's  a bit more complicated, but that's the main point). If you mix bourbon with bourbon or rye with rye, it stays bourbon or rye.

(I am not a lawyer, that's just what I get from the text.)
  • Sanjit_Keskar
    Topic creator
    Member Sanjit_Keskar