Lightly peated Single Malt

• Johann_Tanzer
    Topic creator
    Member Johann_Tanzer

I've decided to try a peated 18 y.o. Single Malt.

Narrowed it down to the Talisker 18 and the Highland Park 18. Can't decide between the two.

Why an 18 year old..? I have an affinity for the older single malts like Balvenie 21, Glenlivit 18, Macallan 18, et al...

Again, as this is my first venture into the world of peat, I'd prefer it to be a gentler and milder initiation.

Thank you all.

• Johann_Tanzer
    Topic creator
    Member Johann_Tanzer
    Options

@Johann_Tanzer

Question is...

Which of the two, Talisker 18 or Highland Park 18 would those of you who have tried these whiskies recommend?

Thanks.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Johann_Tanzer 

I haven't had the Talisker 18, but that's the one I would recommend.  

In general, peated whiskies get less smoky as the age.  Highland Park is already lighted peated, especially after 18 years.  I had a sample of it a few months ago; while very tasty, I didn't notice any peat smoke at all.  

Talisker, by default is more of a medium-peated scotch.  After 18 years, I'm guessing that you would still find it; more so than the highland park.  Howver, after 18 years, the smoke wouldn't be quite as sharp and noticeable as the Talisker 10.  So, if you're looking for some (not a bunch) of pleasant smoke, I'd go with the Talisker.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Johann_Tanzer 

I would choose the Talisker 18. But that is becuase I love Talisker.