Laphroaig Lore vs Ardbeg Kelpie?

• sberco1001
    Topic creator

I am debating whether to buy the Laphroaig Lore or the Ardbeg Kelpie (same price where I live) to serve at a scotch club. Which would you go for and why? Thanks!

Help!
    1. Which scotch?3 votes
      1. Laphroaig Lore
        33%
      2. Ardbeg Kelpie
        67%
    2. Have you tried both?3 votes
      1. Yes
        100%
      2. Just Laphroaig Lore
          0%
      3. Just Arbeg Kelpie
          0%
  • Shmotch Member Joined: 29.11.2016Posts: 45Ratings: 0
    , edited August 13 2017 at 4:30PM
    Options

@sberco1001 

NAS releases from 2 of my favorite distilleries, the Lore is definitely a good bottle, it hits all the right notes that you are looking for in a Laphroiag, however, I find it a bit pricey (though it apparently has some 21 year old stocks it), the Kelpie is a limited release and the briny smokiness and the use of the spicy Russian oak makes for a delicious whisky, I liked it so much I bought 2 bottles, my favorite Ardbeg special release to date, this would be my choice

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    , edited August 16 2017 at 9:01PM
    Options

@sberco1001

Tasted both in May, when I visited both distilleries. Bought two Kelpies in Ardbeg shop.

I don't remember in detail the difference between the two, as I tasted Kelpie after a serious round of tastings in the distillery tour... :mrgreen: But I remember that I found Lore harsher (and "woodier") than Kelpie, or Kelpie smoother than Lore, if you prefer.

I also was undecided between Lore and Brodir (very different whiskies), and brought 2 Brodir (one to drink and share, one to keep for a rainy day). If you like sweet & peat, Brodir and PX are excellent choices.

However, I'm far from being an expert. I recommend waiting for more serious comments on this subject.

• sberco1001
    Topic creator
    Options

@Vasco @Shmotch Thanks very much! Ended up going with the Kelpie. It definitely needed to sit for 10 minutes, but once it opened up, was very interesting indeed! 

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@sberco1001 Seems as if I am the only one so far, who likes the Lore more than the Kelpie.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

horst_s said:

@sberco1001 Seems as if I am the only one so far, who likes the Lore more than the Kelpie.

Well, that comment made me think that I definitely have to give another try to Lore... :biggrin:

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

@sberco1001 Though my taste differs somewhat from Horst's, in this case we concur - I also prefer Lore to the Kelpie (though I only tried the committee release).

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)