New short whisky documentary film

• DavidTheDutchman
    Topic creator
    Member DavidTheDutchman

My name is David, I am a graduate filmmaker from The Netherlands. For my first short documentary film I turned to my passion for single malt whisky. I followed an independent whisky maker from The Netherlands in the middle of crafting his very first single malt whisky.

For this documentary I asked myself: What do I miss as a whisky aficionado in the documentaries I have seen? Virtually every one goes over the creation process in a way aimed at people who know nothing about whisky. Not mine. This short doc is aimed at knowledgeable whisky lovers only. The documentary Malt in the Making is in Dutch with English subtitles and runs for 14 minutes.

You can view the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NYsdMbV1M
    And the entire documentary is available for free here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zph4RAiAt4w

SYNOPSIS:
    On a small island off the Dutch north coast sits a remote estate. The windswept landscape faintly resembles that of Scotland. It is here that a unique single malt whisky is in the making. Guided only by his years of experience, an ambitious master distiller operates a single, small still.

However, the dozens of international whisky lovers that crowdfunded him expect a single malt whisky that is truly extraordinary. This short documentary film offers a glimpse at the creation of an unmatched single malt whisky. A snapshot of an uncertain process that is still years from completion.

Hope you guys watch it and let me know what you think!

Cheers!
    David

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

thank you David, a most engaging film and story telling. you have given an insight into the place, the people and his ideals. only one thing I didn't find being mentioned, and I guess it is something usually not mentioned in whisky making, is the yeast that he uses.

DavidTheDutchman liked that
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    , edited October 13 2016 at 5:57PM
    Options

Thanks for sharing your documentary with us, David.

I like it very much! You managed to outline the passion/dedication for the project, as well as the challenges of being a small crowd-funded start up.

The map in the beginning helps to get an idea on the distillery's location which is an important aspect. The music is well-integrated and fits the topic.

My only constructive critism is that I had some problems to follow the English subtitles while listening to the spoken Dutch. Sometimes, subtitles disappeared rather quickly or were hardly readable (contrast) due to yellow text on white background.

Are you planning to follow up on the progress of the distillery in the next years?

Slàinte!

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<