First venture into Sherry Whiskys. Suggestions?

• Louie82
    Topic creator

Greetings all,

I am looking for suggestions for my first sherry whisky. For background My favorite whiskys to date are the Dalwhinnie Distillers edition ( I currently have the 1997) and the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban which I will admit it was love at first dram.

After doing some research I find that many sites recommend the Macallan 12 Yr, and the Glendronach 12yr respectively, all suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am very amateur when it comes to sherry whiskys.

Thank you for reading.

Louie.

• oldnavy Member oldnavy Joined: 01.08.2015Posts: 22CollectionThe chief's stashRatings: 0
    Options

Aberlour A'bunadh
    Balvenie 15 yo. Single Barrel "sherry Cask"
    GlenDronach Cask Strength batch #2 or #3 what ever is on the shelf
    GlenDronach 18 yo. Allardice

Louie82 liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Here are a few more affordable ones:

Glenmorangie Lasanta
    Benriach 12yrs Sherry Cask
    Aberlour Non Chill-Filtered 12yrs
    Damore 15yrs
    Edradour 10+12 yrs
    Glenfarclas 18yrs
    Glengoyne 15yrs
    Tamdhu 10yrs
    Tomatin Port Wood Finish 14yrs
    Auchentoshan Three Wood

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    Louie82 liked that
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

10 and 12 years old edradour ones are fantastic

Louie82 liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options
    "andyb01" wrote:

Agreed! Those are both great, intense whiskies for the money. They can be hard to find though. Although not the "Sherry bomb" as some of the others, Bunnahabhain 12 and 18 have enough Sherry in them to make a good alternative.

If you really want sherried whiskies and can't find an edradour, go with aberlour 12 or 16; the abunadh was a little too much for me...proceed with caution with that one!

FYI, if you're interested in sherried whiskies, I recommend buying an actual bottle of Sherry! Maybe it's an assumption, but I think too many people talk about Sherry without actually knowing what it tastes like (at least in the US). Personally I like the sweetness of Pedro ximenez.

Louie82 liked that
  • Maximilien Member Maximilien Joined: 19.01.2016Posts: 16Ratings: 0
    Options

aberlour 12 sherry cask
    glenfarclas 105
    glendronach 15

Louie82 liked that
  • andyb01 Member andyb01 Joined: 21.08.2015Posts: 65Collectionandyb01s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options
    "kroman" wrote:
    "andyb01" wrote:

Agreed! Those are both great, intense whiskies for the money. They can be hard to find though. Although not the "Sherry bomb" as some of the others, Bunnahabhain 12 and 18 have enough Sherry in them to make a good alternative.

If you really want sherried whiskies and can't find an edradour, go with aberlour 12 or 16; the abunadh was a little too much for me...proceed with caution with that one!

FYI, if you're interested in sherried whiskies, I recommend buying an actual bottle of Sherry! Maybe it's an assumption, but I think too many people talk about Sherry without actually knowing what it tastes like (at least in the US). Personally I like the sweetness of Pedro ximenez.

the 10 year is easier top get than the 12 year old Caledonia unless you live near that area

Louie82 liked that
  • Louie82
    Topic creator
    Options

Once again thank you for all the great suggestions, this is indeed a wonderful and knowledgeable group of connoisseurs.