4 months into my Scotch journey, thoughts so far

2»
  • Knilas Member Knilas Joined: 29.06.2017Posts: 3Collection4 Fingers of YummyRatings: 9
    Options

I recently got a bit tired of drinking mostly red wine and Canadian whisky mixed with ginger ale, so at the beginning of the year I decided to try out some different Scotch whiskys for a change. I stumbled upon Horst's videos and found them very informative, so I decided to make this post. Here is a list in chronological order of whiskys that I have bought  so far with my thoughts on them.

Monkey Shoulder: Recommended to me at the local store for a first Scotch, and I loved it! Great          recommendation, and for the price, it's probably the best bang for the buck Scotch I've tried so far. Hints of vanilla with a bit of orange and lemon zest. Left me wanting just a bit more of a finish to linger on, but definitely got me hooked on the journey!

Glenfiddich 12 and 15 year: Tasted these at the local pub. I didn't have a whole bottle to sit on and really contemplate the nuances, but I really enjoyed both versions! Easy to sip on, nothing bad to say about them. I would happily buy a bottle of either!

Famous Grouse: Not wanting to spend a lot of money yet, I picked up a bottle since it was inexpensive. Flavor wise it was quite good I thought, though it basically had no finish. Even as a novice, I was yearning for more complexity and some sort of aftertaste.

Lagavulin 8 year: I had heard so many good things about this Scotch that I was very excited to finally buy a bottle of "the good stuff". At $77, I wish I had done some research first, because I do not like it at all! The campfire aroma and flavor I don't mind so much, but the medicinal, Band-aid, burnt rubber flavor of the peat is just not for me. I honestly can't see how people enjoy this stuff. I'll hold on to the bottle and see how I like it in a year or so, but I can't see my tastes changing that much!

Talisker Storm: Saw it on sale for $40 and picked it up. Not a fan. Not near as smoky and peaty as the Lagavulin, but still had those flavors. Also had a briny flavor that reminded me of olives, which I hate. This bottle was at least somewhat drinkable to me though, while the Lagavulin was not at all.

Lismore 18: Bought this because it came in a gift set with 2 Glencairn glasses. Luckily the Scotch was really good too! I enjoyed the oak flavor and buttery smooth finish. Made me realize I seem to enjoy Speyside Scotch the best, and to stay away from Islay.

Glenmorangie sampler pack: This sampler had 4 different small Glenmorangie bottles; the Original, Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar D'Or. This was my favorite purchase so for because it allowed me taste the flavors of different cask finishes. It was a lot of fun trying them all, and I loved every one! the sherry cask Lasanta and port cask Quinta Ruban were my favorite, though the original was great as well. I actually bought a full bottle of the original as my next purchase and is what I'm drinking right now! I taste vanilla, almond, and lemon zest with a spiced, dry finish. Yum!

So these are my thoughts so far as I journeyed from noob to enthusiast. Based on my experiences so far, what whiskey's would you all recommend me? I want to try Highland Park 12 next, but am worried I might not like it. Is it very smoky and peaty? I seem to like vanilla and oak flavors the most. Thanks for looking, hopefully this might help other Scotch noobs too!

I am relatively new to Scotch as well, (been a Bourbon man for many years), so thanks for the tips and reviews.  

A few I've tried and enjoyed:  Macallan 12, Aberlour Abundah, Glengoyne 12 (my favorite), Glendronach 12, and Balvenie 12 Doublewood.  Enjoy them all!  
    My first introduction to Scotch was 3 years ago.  A friend of mine sent me several samples.  Glenlivet 12 and other peaty pours.  Was not a fan.... I tend to stick with Speyside and Highland bottles now, but I'm not opposed to trying something with a little more peat/smoke in the future.  Just to see if my tastes have changed.   

Be well~

Scott

2»