A question about the Kilkerran Work In Progress series

• X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Joined: 15.04.2016Posts: 16CollectionX_d's CollectionRatings: 56

Yesterday I have visited one of the biggest whisky club in China, the Single Malt Club. After I joined their membership, I found that there is a series of Kilkerran WIP in Sherry, which can be bought in a comparably low price. But I don't even know this label and its flavour. So any masters can tell me some basic information and its characteristics? Appreciate!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

The Kilkerran is produced by the Glengyle distillery, which is owned and supplied by the Springbank distillery. Ben visited this relatively new distillery in Campbeltown. Here is his video.
    I tasted already a few of them. Here is my latest video.

P.S.: It is always a good idea to search for my tasting videos not on YouTube but here in my Vlog. In YT my videos are quite often not found.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Options
    "horst_s" wrote:
    The Kilkerran is produced by the Glengyle distillery, which is owned and supplied by the Springbank distillery. Ben visited this relatively new distillery in Campbeltown. Here is his video.
    I tasted already a few of them. Here is my latest video.

P.S.: It is always a good idea to search for my tasting videos not on YouTube but here in my Vlog. In YT my videos are quite often not found.

Thank you so much meister! Those videos are terribly useful for me, but I am still wondering about the differences in WIP 5, 6 and 7, for all of them are matured in sherry casks.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

The Work in Progress Series was meant to demonstrate the development of Kilkerran whisky over the course of time until they could release a permanent aged release.
    The different expressions were getting older every following Edition (even though I'm not sure if they added a further year of maturation every time) - and to most people, the sherry expressions were consistently better than the bourbon aged malts, with one exception: The final expression (WiP 7) seemed to be better in the bourbon variant.
    I haven't tasted too many of them myself, but what I tried, I liked... and now I'm looking forward to the 12 y.o. due in September... 8)

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Options
    "SanctTom" wrote:
    The Work in Progress Series was meant to demonstrate the development of Kilkerran whisky over the course of time until they could release a permanent aged release.
    The different expressions were getting older every following Edition (even though I'm not sure if they added a further year of maturation every time) - and to most people, the sherry expressions were consistently better than the bourbon aged malts, with one exception: The final expression (WiP 7) seemed to be better in the bourbon variant.
    I haven't tasted too many of them myself, but what I tried, I liked... and now I'm looking forward to the 12 y.o. due in September... 8)

Oh... that is a big news. So which one in the WIP series that you think can be a good introduction to Kilkerran its brand?

Options

I'd go for the latest (and most mature) ones - WiP 7. I only have tried the Bourbon Cask, which is really nice (and in Cask Strength), but you might also want to try the Sherry Cask (46%, as the rest of the WiPs), which is not as sherry-dominated as some other malts out there... Enjoy!:wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • X_dwhisky
    Topic creator
    Member X_dwhisky
    Options
    "SanctTom" wrote:
    I'd go for the latest (and most mature) ones - WiP 7. I only have tried the Bourbon Cask, which is really nice (and in Cask Strength), but you might also want to try the Sherry Cask (46%, as the rest of the WiPs), which is not as sherry-dominated as some other malts out there... Enjoy!:wink:

Thank you so much! I have just tasted 4 kinds of Kilkerran yesterday, WIP 5 Bourbon and Sherry, WIP 6 Bourbon and sherry, and found very interested stuffs
    1. WIP 5 are not so heavy flavoured like WIP 6. That was maybe because of the maturing time.

2. The different between 5 and 6 are mainly the order of the flavours arise up.

P.S. In the first round of tasting. I found WIP 6 Sherry was so beautiful and fantastic. But in the second round, when I wanted to enjoy them. I suddenly found WIP6 Sherry a little bit heavy in its flavour. This kind of heavy, made me tired to enjoy it. At this moment, WIP 6 Bourbon was better than the Sherry one lol...

Additionally, one of the managers of the bar actually recommended me to try something like WIP 5 or 6, but not 7. Here is what he said: the most interested thing in Kilkerran is that you can knowing about how the flavours are changing when time passes by. Which means, the WIP 7 is an almost completed work that even can compete with those other labels' normal 10 yo and 12 yo, so it is more interesting to taste some incomplete works like WIP 5 and 6.

Options
    "X_dwhisky" wrote:
    Additionally, one of the managers of the bar actually recommended me to try something like WIP 5 or 6, but not 7. Here is what he said: the most interested thing in Kilkerran is that you can knowing about how the flavours are changing when time passes by. Which means, the WIP 7 is an almost completed work that even can compete with those other labels' normal 10 yo and 12 yo, so it is more interesting to taste some incomplete works like WIP 5 and 6.

Absolutely true - it just depends what is more interesting to you when tasting!
    Glad you had fun with the Kilkerrans!