Finding Distilleries for Export

• manicminer
    Topic creator

Dear all, 

I'm a bit new to the whisky industry, but I'd appreciate some advice on the basics of exporting whisky. 

I have some business contact in China who are very interested in importing single malts.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips on negotiating with distilleries and suppliers in Scotland in order to set up an export business with my contact in China?

Many thanks in advance.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@manicminer

Sorry - but I have to smirk a little bit.

The distilleries in Scotland are in the hands of a dozen mega corporations (diageo, Beam-Suntory, Pernod Ricard, Bacardi, Brown-Forman, ...) They are doing this export job by themselves.

There are two dozen independent distilleries. (Glenfarclas, Springbank, Wolfburn, Kilchoman, ...). They are a lot smaller and have no manpower to communicate with hundreds of sales partners worldwide. Therefore they use independent distributors (assorted by countries and regions) to sell its whiskies. And these distributors do not want to have 'agents' between them and the final retailer.

The worldwide market is old and settled. There are minimal chances, that you are able to pass these old supply chains. And if you are able - then it will be only for a short time until the market catches up. Size matters.

P.S.: And then you have the mega red tape task of satisfying customs and duty. That task is even harder than the original work. All states earn a lot of their income out of excise duties on alcohol and tobacco.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    Mathishwchoy2 liked that
  • Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
    Options

@manicminer Dear Manicminer, I also work in the whisky industry and I would say Horst put this perfectly. Its very very hard to penetrate the market regarding export.

However, dreams are dreams - If you are super serious about this, then you might find your way.

But I would consider this task to be very difficult to say the least.

I hope you find your way,

Kind regards Mathis