Speyside Distilleries

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited February 12 2017 at 7:31AM

I have a question for Horst to be included in the next Whisky FAQ YouTube video: Why are most of the Scotch distilleries congregated near the River Spey?

Other than being the fastest-flowing river in Scotland, is there something else about it that makes locating a distillery near it preferable? Is the water in that area better for making whisky? Since so many other distilleries located elsewhere produce single malts of comparable quality, why would so many Scotch producers have built their distilleries in the Speyside region?

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
    Tagged:
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e
    I will add it to one of the next FAQs.

The answer is short. It is just the constant flow of water of the River Spey. You need a lot of process water for cooling purposes. Water for the production is typically taken from a separate source (well).

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    [Deleted User] liked that
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    , edited February 16 2017 at 3:01AM
    Options
    horst_s said:
    @to_e_or_not_to_e
    I will add it to one of the next FAQs.

Thanks!

The answer is short. It is just the constant flow of water of the River Spey.

Most of the Speyside distilleries aren't actually on the main river though. Do you mean that the River Spey has such an extensive network of tributaries that locating a distillery in the area is therefore advantageous because of the abundance of water?

You need a lot of process water for cooling purposes. Water for the production is typically taken from a separate source (well).

I see. I've worked in chemical production facilities and am familiar with what you describe.

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@horst_s

Thank you, Mr. Luening, for responding to my question in such a thorough manner. The topic which you expounded upon in the YouTube video was more complex than I had initially supposed. In other words, great answer!

Mathis liked that
  • Mathis Member Mathis Joined: 26.10.2016Posts: 105Ratings: 33
    Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e

It was a great episode indeed, and thank you for submitting the question :smile: